ice storm coming... what to do with the birds

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

ice storm coming... what to do with the birds

Post by Donovan »

We're expecting to lose power for several days and the temperatures are going to be very very cold.

There will be a kerosene heater in the house. Is this gonna kill my birds?... the fumes i mean...

It was suggested i put them in a small cage and have them in the warm part of the house but i'm not comfortable doing that.... not sure what to do really... any suggestions?
AJPeter

Re: ice storm coming... what to do with the birds

Post by AJPeter »

They sleep in holes in trees you could try slipping them into a pair of fur lined boots, l bought Billie a fur lined hassock for cold winter night she does go in it but prefers to poop on it.

Can't help you with Kerosene, the lady below me uses a parafin heater, apart from the damp we suffer no ill effects. I said to her l could not smell the fumes and she said that she puts a saucer of water next to the burner.

You could try putting them into the pockets of an overcoat you might wear. Oh a parafin "Tilley" lamp not only provides light but also heat you have to pump it up!
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

thanks AJ but somehow i think they'd take their built in can openers to my fingers if i started trying to stuff them into pockets and boots :P
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hotel?
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

MissK hit the nail on the head again, l read that Quebec is going to be minus 28 c tomorrow
But would hotels be exempt from power failures?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Some have generators; some do not. Donovan's ice storm is probably getting ready to start right now while I, a few states North, am checking out my window for snow...... No Snow Yet. :? We're at 16 degrees F, 6:30 pm. How about you, D?

ALSO, Donovan, do you know about Foot's Forecast? You should check them out. Not sure where in NC you are, but the current weather map is showing light snow for the top of NC, maybe to be followed by light ice. www.footsforecast.org though it's due for updating since 6:15. If the storm goes North you might miss it altogether.

Good luck and let us know how this went!
-MissK
Richardnut

ice storm coming what to do with the birds

Post by Richardnut »

Hi Andrea

I am trying to put photos into a map image using your mask file. However when its complete the map no longer fits on the page. Please could you tell me what Im doing wrong?

Many thanks
Best wishes
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Here is the answer to the next ice storm:

Migrate