Need advice about getting my IRN a friend

Moderator: Mods

Fidgit_Green

Need advice about getting my IRN a friend

Post by Fidgit_Green »

Hi guys,
I have recently been thinking about getting Fidgit a friend because I haven't had as much time to spend with him as I use to, however, I haven't yet decided between getting another IRN or possibly a different breed of parrot.
I kind of want to get him a mate, but I don't think I want to go through what is involved with breeding.
But then I'm worried if I will have problems if I get another male, so then I think possibly a different breed of bird to keep him company, but then I have the problem of, I'm not to much of a bird person with Fidgit being my first, so I have no idea about how to bring in a new bird so they are OK together or even what other parrots are good to match with ect.

I was wondering if someone might be able to give me a bit of general advice on getting another bird, maybe some do's n don'ts to keep in mind, the things that only experience teaches.
I appreciate any advice anyone can give me.
Cheers.
InTheAir

Re: Need advice about getting my IRN a friend

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I recommend a male (I kind of wish I had got one...). Male ring necks usually get on very well. A couple people on here have 2 boys, hopefully they will chip in soon.
MissK

Re: Need advice about getting my IRN a friend

Post by MissK »

Chip! Chip! Here's my opinion!

I think the right domestic companion for a male Ringneck is another male Ringneck. There is always the chance that two Ringnecks make more noise than one human can enjoy, but I think most parrots are prone to making some noise, so this may be a point not worth discussing.

My male Ringneck met a few different species before I brought home my second Ringneck. He was interested in them, and appeared to be rather fond :wink: of the Budgie. In my house I have four different species of birds, plus some dogs. I could argue that any of them provides some stimulation for my Ringneck, and I'm sure they're better than nothing. However, the instant I brought a second Ringneck into the house it was abundantly clear my Ringnecks prefer the company of their own kind.

Once I saw my Ringneck with another Ringneck, it made it look like the other birds might as well be made of cardboard to him. I think it puts a very real face on the phrase "Birds of a feather flock together." Rocky and Sinbad *never* choose a different species over spending time with each other. For these reasons I believe the most appropriate companion for a Ringneck is another Ringneck.

Regarding what sex companion to get - a male with a male looks to me to be the easiest all around. Fidgit is still young - are we 100% certain he's a boy? This is information worth having for sure. Equally important, if you are shopping for a certain sex, is knowing your new bird with 100% certainty. See the test results document and compare the identification number to the number on your bird's leg. Not every seller is as conscientious as they could be. We've heard stories here of outright deception as well. Please rely on the most accurate sex testing, not someone's guarantee that it will be one sex or the other, and you can trade back if they're wrong. Nobody wants to part with a pet after a year's gone by.

There is plenty of anecdotal suggestion that two females will have conflict. While it is a well established thought, I have to note I'm only repeating what I've heard so I have to defer to those with actual experience.

A female with a male will most likely, sooner or later, introduce some breeding issues into your lives. You said you didn't really want to breed, and I commend you for looking forward to that issue. I suspect that if you let a pair together for long enough, there may be breeding. If one wants to breed and the other doesn't, there may be serious conflict between them. If they want to breed but you do not permit them that contact, is that really a nice way for them to live? Would you want to spend whole your life inches away but unable to touch the object of your sexual desire?

Two males, without any females in the area, do have a chance to get along well. In my house, perhaps, we may have been extraordinarily lucky. I can't say. However, there will be no chicks with a same sex pair.

Lots of people here have multiple Ringnecks, and (I suspect) mixed species groups as well. If they don't post here you might even pm them for their input.

Donovan, Jenica1026, and I all keep two males.
InTheAir and Ellieelectrons both keep a male and a female.
SunniDai keeps a mixed flock, including (I think) an African Ringneck.
Skyeberry (I think) has a Conure and a Ringneck.
I think WesselGordon has a mixed flock, but I could be making that up.......

You can also search the term "companion" and pick out the threads of others with the same question to see how people replied to them. I was going to do it for you, but then I thought, Why should I have all the fun?? Remember that even if you get two birds to be friends, they might not ever like each other. It's a chance you take.

Best wishes, and remember, TWO CAGES, at least to start, and maybe forever. Cages have to be bigger, as well, if you are putting birds in them together. Leave room for personal space and all. I selected two identical cages and hope to remove the sides one day and put them together, making one huge ten foot cage. Something to think about..... Two birds are double your money and double your trouble, but in my house, I found, double the fun as well. :D
-MissK