Looking of help to estimate age of IRN

Moderator: Mods

Louwalls

Looking of help to estimate age of IRN

Post by Louwalls »

Hi

I recently purchased an IRN, I was told it was between 8 & 12 weeks old and that it was a girl because it did not have a ring. Through my own research I have learned that it wouldn't have a ring until later. I am now questioning the age of the bird also. It appears to have a faint black line around it's neck ? It also has visible yellow bits in it's eye which makes me think it's older !

Any thoughts welcome, attempting to post a picture with this

Lou x
Louwalls

Re: Looking of help to estimate age of IRN

Post by Louwalls »

image of IRN in question

Lou
MissK

Post by MissK »

Give front view of neck.
-MissK
Louwalls

Post by Louwalls »

My issue is that's it is very nervous and runs te minute anyone goes near the cage. Can't get a photo from the front, this was the best I could get. I only just got it at the weekend so haven't built a bond with it yet to get closer

Lou
MissK

Post by MissK »

Try hang a bit of apple inside the front of the cage, stand far away, and use a zoom function. Alternately, set up a blind with a little camera lens hole.

From here, and I don't know nuthin' bout nuthin', it looks to be an adult female. But you need more photos and the opinions of people who have kept 1) youngsters and 2) females. A female will not have black under the chin, nor a black ring.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, That looks more like a male to me, and definitely more than a year old. I think wait a little while and you will know for sure, if the ring comes out. At the moment my bird's ring is looking exactly like your one. And I believe it to be a male and over a year old. Even before that slight colour on the ring came I took it to be male because of the type of sounds he is making. I've had a female and male before this one, and his sounds are like that of my previous male. Anyway, I'll wait a few more months to see if the ring turns fully black. I'm sure you can wait too. Afterall Ringnecks is all about patience. They train us to become patient individuals :lol: . Wishing you all the best in taming your bird.

Ash