Billie the wonder parrot part 4

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Re: Billie the wonder parrot part 4

Post by AJPeter »

Billie was in a bad mood this morning she bit me, lots of blood. I showed her and l sought of got the impression she was saying, "Good that will teach you a lesson." She did not get as long a cuddle as she wanted first thing in the morning after l open her cage she comes up for a warm up cuddle and scratch but it was church today so she only got a short cuddle and l made the mistake of offering her some pellets between my fingers, and before you could say "Nicholas Nicklebee in a force nine gale backwards blood was dripping on my carpet.

This was the second time in less than 24 hours when blood has been the outcome, l cut my toenails at midnight last night and could not see what l was doing and the result more blood on the carpet, and it would not stop l used up half a toilet roll trying to quench the flow, eventually some cotton wool and lots of paster allowed me to go back to bed.

She was jolly pleased to see me after l got back from church we spent a pleasant afternoon together.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Eeeooow! Sounds like hens teeth arent so rare after all. You need to buy styptic, the stuff barbers recommend for shaving cuts. Youre not on Warfarin are you?. I never offer anything smaller than a nutri berry with my fingers, better safe than sorry, but Sanjay just doesnt bite anyway, a nibble is about all he offers if I pea him off. Today he wanted my earring, and my ears are pierced, so I made sure I kept it out of reach while I was near him.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have blue blood you can see it in the veins. No l am not a bleeder, many years ago when l was a teenager l went to give blood and a pint took nearly two hours. But then they decided they could not use it because of my childhood illness.

I reached over the top of Billie to put her up perch and l suddenly remembered she bit me on the lip, so l said to her "You ar enot thinking of biting me are you?" She replied "No you are safe!" She had a fresh fig today and quite liked the taste, l also bought some plums but they get a thumbs down.

Last night she pigged out on the blackberries, the plastic floor was awash in blackberry. She had a nibble at most things the carrots went well, and even the apples had a look in.
Tonight she was quite interested in some watercress.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay quite likes plums, I was late back today because I was late going out, a sparky came to put a new wet room light fitting up. So when I got back, himself was quite frantic, thinking he wouldn't get his dins on time, we shared a piece of chicken, and he was mollified. He was so peckish, he didn't hang around trying to grab my earring either!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie gets upset if l do not hurry her breakfast. As soon as the covers come off she comes up for a cuddle and neck scratch, then l take the bowls out and wash them filling them up with fresh. This morning she thought l was taking too long and she started screaming.

I put her seed bowl in last and she reaches through the hatch and graps the hoop pulling the bowl in. She hates it if l go out of the room, and will go to the top of the cage and sulk if l do not return pronto.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I am sure l posted something yesteday but maybe l am getting past it. When Billie is covered and she hears me crunching a peppermint candy she goes bananas, and l have to lift a corner of the cover and give her a bit!

I have found a super toy, a fir cone hung on along piece of string tied to the top of her cage inside. When she pushed the cone it swings away and then swings back and hits her gently, she gets so annoyed she cannot hold it still with one foot that she bashes it and then it swings back and hits her, l never knew she could swear so colourfully!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo! I must get Sanjay one, they like the seeds anyway, and a quick bake in a hot oven will kill any nasties.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Did you know conkers keep spiders away, l still have a few cheshnuts in the freezer Billie likes them now while they are still soft from the hot water.

Somebody told me that parrots like honey drizzled over firs cones well l tried this with Billie
she took one sip and dropped the fir cone, this was nearly two years ago l thought she might have forgotten, but l am not sure/ That same somebody suggested that l pack the fir cone with peanut butter, well that is something else she hates.

Oh she hates walnuts too.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A few of my Pagan friends tried the conker thing, it made absolutely No difference, I am quite happy just to put spiders outside. Honey is a bit sugary, so himself only ever gets a tiny nibble of Greek yogurt and honey now and again.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie liked yougurt but the honey put her off. She has been on a course of vitamins and it has done here the world of good. She poops shortly after l open the cage and it looks okay

I weighed her the other day and she came in at 367 grams (It might have been 357) near normal weight for an Alexandrine, she has been sleeping on the top perch which make me very happy.

She has pulled out two feathers, one might have come lose when she tried to mastubate on my shoulder and in a bad moment l knocked her off and she fell badly the other one just came out as she was preening.

I put back in some corn and she pouinced on that, First thing in the morning she sits close to where l hang up the corn, waiting for me and if l take too long she gets all excited and shouts/
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I might have a problem with Billie laying so many eggs but l have a worse problem with Internet Explorer, it won't lay anything or do anything.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Try uninstalling then re installing it, my laptop plays up too, this Android phone is much better. No heating today, the boiler packed up, the engineer got it going, but said he needed to order spare parts for it, ten minutes after he left, it packed up again, so he brought me two brand new fan heaters, just to tide me over I still have hot water thankfully. Sanjay didn't seem to be uncomfortable, but one never knows!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Fan heaters are expensive, where l live we have a social landlord and 20 apartments l call them Masionettes, however my gas fire was condemed at the annual check a couple of years and l had a new one fitted. But one of my neighbours had the same problem just recently and he was told the Landlord had run out of money and he would have to manage with an electic fan heater.

Gas is much better and cheaper. All but three of us have central heating, the lady below me uses parafin heaters but the landlord does not care. I think central heating is too hot.
We are fortunate that we have a laundry room with washing machine and drier, it cost 60p to wash or dry. Around the car park are large grass areas and it is very pleasant sitting out under the trees watching the world go by. Billie would tell you if she could.

Does Sanjay have a hot water bottle? Billie was out of her cage all morning while l went shopping, she is as good as gold.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I love my gas CH, and with the winter fuel allowance and warm home discount, I manage fine, Im with Scottish Power. Paraffin heaters stink And cause condensation. The lovely old open fires with marble surrounds, which my rooms would have had, were ripped out years ago which is such a shame, I love open fires. Anyway I have a washer/dryer, the garden is miles long and there is no washing line, I wouldn't be without it, no laundry room here, the guys in the other flats dry their clothes on the radiators, then complain about mould and mildew. I don't know if these little low watt fan heaters are expensive to run, I don't care because Anything is better than nothing.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

400 watt is about half of a kilo watt and that costs about 8 p a kilo watt, per hour, so for a 8 hours you could be looking at 32 p does not sound much but it you push the heater up to 800 watts you double your cost. It is best to keep the fire on at its lowest setting on all the time. I do not know the comparison rates. I am with Scottish and Southern power, who are cheaper than Scottish power but it is all swings and roundabouts. Hope you get your gas heater back soon.

A couple of nights ago Billie wanted to go to bed at 3 pm but l made her stay up and gradually she has been getting later, tonoght it was 4.30 before she wanted to be covered.
I have been trying to keep her occupied with foot toys and games, she has no idea how to play foot ball as soon as she discovered it was not an eating games she gave up!

This afternoon l just had to vacumn the floor I asked her "What is all this mess on my floor?" And she replied "Your floor?"
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Scottish Power is exactly the same as S and S. It is still too cold in my flat to have a shower, so I hope they get that spare pump etc really soon!. Most of the tut on my floor has come from himself!, he likes to sing and chortle to the vacuum cleaner!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie dives for the her hand basin as soon as l switch on the vacumn cleaner, l give her a light misting after l have finished cleaning. Billie likes to share her tut, and throws it on the floor.

l left her open while l went to church gone 2 1/2 hours and she was sitting on her perch as if butter would not melt on the hot plate, she is so good.

She called to be covered at 3.30 pm but l persuaded her watch the sunset with me and so l covered her at 4.30 Have to think about the clocks going forwards next month l am inching the alarm clock ever earlier.

I have a fan heater in the bathroom and this morning l switched it on too early but my down stairs neighbour was being humped and they woke me up. I was looking at the Dysons air multiplyer and think i might be better than trying to sleep with one; fans are too noisy.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

These are uber silent, thankfully. It was quite mild today, I preheated my wet room, then took the fan out so I could shower. Sanjay is allowing me to stroke his little red beak through the bars, won't be long before I can touch him! At the moment, outside the cage it's hands off smooches.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie climbs all over me, she allows touching but l have to careful not to let it get sexual, she flew to my shoulder yesterday and sat looking at me but l would not let her masturbate on me so gave up and flew back to her cage. She did not try that today.

First thing in the morning she comes to the top of the cage and l cup my hands around her scratching her neck with my thumbs. After she has warmed up she sits there while l do the chores and she loves the gas fire turned up. But afrter awhile it gets too hot even for her and she goes down.

I forgot to cook the omelette toaday so she went without today but she never complains.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My boiler is being repaired on Thursday, they left a message saying March 4th!, so I phoned up and stuck the proverbial into them before Sanjay went into feather plucking mode, he was spitting feathers when I told him!. I have e mailed the manager, told her I expect my ten pounds a day compensation too!, there will be a seedy bar or two in that for himself.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That is good news but the weather has turned and it is getting warmer, maybe you won't need a boiler but if himself is like Billies she tells me when it too cold.

I went for miles and miles looking for a fir tree and l found one collected 20 or so fir cones and since it was near One stop shopping mall l looked for large sunflower seeds but could only get small ones. So l stuffed these into a fir cone and hung it up outside her cage. Oh what fun l had watching her trying to solve the problem of pulling up the cord.

She lifted it with her beak and then held the loop in a foot then she reached and pulled up another loop but she could not work out what happens next. Let go with her beak and she had a big loop, let go with her foot and she had to start again, after a couple of attempts she gave up! Typical woman.

We had such fun this afternoon she held out until 5 pm before wanting to be covered. As the days lengthen so l shall have to find things to keep her amused.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The days may be milder, but the nights are still cold. Besides, I live in an Edwardian house, 12ft ceilings etc. I hope you cleaned the cone, in case a dog had pee'd on it. You could tie intermittent knots in the string, to give her something to grip.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Knots are good l shall try her with a knot or two, it was shopping day to day and l bought a load of stuff. Bean srpouts it says on the packet (if you listen hard enough) DO NOT EAT RAW! I will see if Emma would like them. I bought a zucinninnini thing Billie tried but she did not like it, she does not like eating up the left overs, nor do l but some one has to. Probably be muggins. I bought an egg plant but shall try that on her tomorrow.

We shared an omelette this after noon as sooon as she hears the M/W she goes balistic! My spelling is atrocious.

In Asda l found some large sunflower seeds (Roasted and Salted) she likes them. I tried some they are disgusting.

I do not know about a dog peeing on the cones but l trod in some dog poo but cleaned it off in the loo at One Stop! I washed the cones and gave them 3 mins on high followed by 30 mins in the oven at 200f or was it c? They were pretty hot when they came out/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay doesn't mind Courgette, (zucchini in American). And aubergines are picked to pieces by him. I never give salted nuts or seeds, big plain sunflower seeds are sold in Asian or Afro Caribbean shops. Sanjay and I shared cheese on toast today, he likes it very muchly.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I washed all the sunflower seeds at least they do not taste salty, but it is only second best. I was loading up the fir cone with seeds and Billie saw me she flew to the arm of my chair and kept trying to pull the seeds out. I shooed her away and she swore at me, l never thought she knew such words.

But she has been very good today we played games this afternoon and enjoyed sharing an omlette she only had a two corners but you could see she smacked her lips at them. Egg plant did not even get a look in, the zuccinni is also not look at at, all this wasted money. Billie enjoyed the fire cone knots that was a very good idea she hauls away and up she comes/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Good. Sanjay didn't like some things at first he acquired a taste for them. I found passion fruit on ths market, 8 for a pound, he was extremely chuffed.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

"Get back in your cage!"
Right you name is in the naughty book. She had been as good as gold today staying up until 5.30 pm, but she would not go in and at 6 pm just before the news started she finally decided to call it a day.

Passion fruit is not on her happy list, in fact the totally ignored the egg plant, however she did eat some seeded brocoli spears. This morning she was on her sleeping perch when l uncovered her, looking like death warmed up, she came for a cuddle but dashed off to do a poo.

"Not on the cage!" I shouted but too late she watched with interest as l cleaned up, "Do that again." I told her. "And l will make you clean up."

I have to keep her happy in the afternoons so she had a some millet rolled up in paper just like a reefer, then she had fun with a fir cone stuffed full of seeds, she had two corners of an omelette cooked in the micro wave which went down a treat We played peek a boo but the rules would shock you to the core/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay nibbled on a cinnamon stick while I had a go at gas repairs, they hadn't logged todays repair on their system, so now it's booked for the 17th, the woman said "oh but you've got an electric shower", and I replied, how am I supposed to shower in a freezing cold flat?, it's a wet room, so I can't exactly put a fan heater in there while I shower!. Never mind, I will have to preheat the room, but I didn't tell her that. Sanjay played out a bit longer today.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I get up at the crack of dawn, my alarms goes of at 7.15 am much to the annoyance of some of the men she has who stay the night with her below, there is no need to rush as the security lights in our car park do not go off until after 8 am, which is the time l go to wake up Billie.

As l uncover her she is on the top perch looking like death warmed. Then she gets a cuddle and l take her dishes with the wishes and go to clean them up while she has a poop in private.

We spent a good day together, she looked after her self as l played the organ, She has begun to moult which some of the best people say comes after the egg laying is done but they have been wrong before. Then l have brunch afterwards is her time, she gets a foot toy at 3 pm, this is followed by a fir cone stuffed with nuts, at 4 om we share an omelette.

Her days ends with "Get in your cage!" but she makes the time and wants to come out as soon as she has gone in. but after awhile she settles down and l cover her up, after clearing the decks it goes all quiet.

I have a wall heater in my bathroom which l switch on 30 mins before l have a shower, it makes a dickens of a noise to those below I say quietly. Tough!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

My late parents had one of those combined light heater thingies that warned the top of your head and nothing else. Anyway, Sanjay gets up at 8am, but although he's still on his sleepy perch, he is always bright eyed and bushy tailed, and breaks into chortle song. We don't eat eggs every day, but he has a daily dried fig.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

March Parrots mag is out, mine came though the letter box, there are some interrsting articles PDD and another on biting, the hormonal parrot which true to form they said needed to be trained out of biting, not so with Billie. I have come to the concluision that a lot of her hormonal behavior was due to bowel movements or lack of it, constipation.

Today she sat on top of the cage while l cleaned the bowls, she called me and was sitting looking very smug. She had pooped. I patted her on the head and said. "Well done Bille!"
She beamed with pride. If l take too long in the kitchen l get the Indian Ring neck death rattle. She has lots of ways she comunicates and l can tell when she is smiling!

Her poop is lime green which proves she is eating some pellets which l mix in with her seeds.
Her moult continues and so l have added oyster shell to her seeds, she gets vitamins as well she perked up no end when l started to give her vitamins/

We had omelette again today she loves it but l must cut down for my sake not hers.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I agree, too much of a good thing and all that. I don't get my parrots mag until around the 20th of the month, I don't have mine delivered, it's on order from a newsagent, I couldn't guarantee getting it, there are some peculiar folk around. Sanjay thinks it is spring, because now he has started calling to his wild cousins, and interrupting their conversations. I hope he is right!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Yes we have snow drops waving their heads in the breeze, warmer but still cold.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

And crocuses here. Blackberries today, no doubt there will be purple splats on his newspaper tomorrow, hey ho!. I had to buy a new "Guinea pig " ball, he chucked the last one and it broke, he still played with the halves and the plastic inner bell though, but he much prefers the new one.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I looked in our local Wilco but could not see one, but l will have another look tomorrow, as l am runnuing out of fir cones.

Billie did not want to go to bed tonight no amount of shouting "Get back into your Bxxxxy cage helped, l turned all the lights off she did not turn a hair, so l switched the TV off and we sat in the dark, in the end l gave in and switched the TV back on. After screaming at me several time she gave up and went into the cage for a quick nosh, l jumped up and slammed the door shut, just made it as she was about to put her boot in.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

As they do, and they can't half shift!, I remember when Sanjay wouldn't go back into his nursery cage he'd pop in for a nosh, and keep one beady eye on me, if I so much as twitched, he was out again at the speed of light!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Tonight Billie has been a lot better behaved today, I had to go shopping this morning and l looked in Wilco but all they had for Guinea pigs was a reed ball, however l did not buy that when l got home l Billie gave me a royal welcome, so after playing the organl had my midday meal, and then sat down to enjoy her company. She was trying to bathe in her seed bowl so l took her into the bathroom and she sat on the clothes horse while l turned on the shower she loved it was upside, l added to her enjoyment by misting as well.

This was the first shower of the year and possibly the first in 6 months, l turned on the fan heater as l cleared up and she did not want to go, but by leaning the clothes horse towards me she stepped up onto my shouder.

When she was drier l gave her a fir cone loaded with seeds, we did not have an omelette today but she got a piece Shaw's egg biscuit. Later at 5.45 pm she went into the cage and l slammed the door shut and closed down the top, she was totally unconcerned, just like when l got back from shopping l had bought a mint Herb plant and put it into a corner of her cage.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

She will soon demolish that!. Boiler man, well, baby boiler man spent two and a half hours on said boiler, but didn't have a blow torch, so couldn't undo a bolt, and could not change the pump, never mind, says he the old pump is fine, the sensor was the important bit, Wrong, two hours after he left, it packed up again. Experienced grown up repair man comes, it Definitely Needs a New Pump, q'elle surprise!. So, now he has to track the infant down, get the new pump from him, then come back tomorrow afternoon to finish the job properly. Sanjay was late having his playtime today, but took it in good part. He will spit feathers tomorrow, when he realises we've got the whole rigmarole Again!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The saga continues, new pump fitted today, guess what? It needs a new pressure valve, so no hot water either until Friday, but I shan't hold my breath.
Interesting article in todays Daily Telegraph about "Ring Tailed (sic) Parakeets, the article does eventually get the name correct, and how they are colonising, threatening native birds and agriculture but as the author rightly states, they are here to stay regardless of legislation stating there is a right to shoot them.
I didn't let Sanjay read it, and I will make sure it is within splat range when I use it in his cage.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

That is the beauty of Billie's cage it has a plastic tray that gets washed every morning. I bought some melon and she has an eightth where the pomegranite used to reside, After she went off P, l tried that cucumber thing, and egg plant neither got eaten. She thinks the melon is a bit messy, but white cabbage got a good look in, l moved her bath (in a seed bowl) to the dog bowl and put it on the floor of the cage.

She does not like it there and has chucked in all the things she does not want to eat in. l changed the water but it still looks like vegeatable soup.

The mornings are getting light earlier, so l advanced the alarm clock to 7.15am but even so l got told off for uncovereing her well after sun rise. If she thinks l will get up at 4 am in the summer she has another think coming!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjays palace has a metal grid, with metal trays underneath, the newspaper makes it easier to keep clean.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I took the grid out to give Billie more room and to play on the floor of the cage.

I bought her a tubular bell from Northern parrots l ordered it yesterday it came in the post this morning, she quite lkes it but trying to find a place to hang it was a bit hard. When l first open her up she comes for a cuddle and l put my hands aorund her and scratch her neck. After that l take the bowls out to be cleaned and she calls to say she has pooped away from the cage. She does not poop on the floor of her cage but sticks her tail out and poops on the carpet protector.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Thanks for sharing. Daddi bought Sanjay a tubular bell, and he absolutely Loves it, he gets a lot of play value from it.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have tried to teach Billie to say "Cock a doodle do" when she poops, but she came very close to it when she announced her approval of the tubular bell"
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have just noticed that on the bottom of the reply page is the word SUBMIT

I object stongly l will never submit!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I find it amazing how my life alters when l read the instructions, l had to get some more sunfower seeds out of the cupboard and as l poured them into a container l read the intructions, "Crack open with your teeth and discard husk." Now they tell me now me, l wondered why tasted so awful.

Billie today gave me a royal send off when l went to church, she stood on tip top and let rip l almost did not go, but when l got back she seems to be saying "You here again?"
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

"So What's your game then?" When l leave the room Billie sings and chortles and whistles then she gives me the indian death threat rattle but when l go back in she falls silent.

Mind you l have two doors l can go out by one leads to the stairs and the outside and if l attempt to go out by that door she flies to my shoulder, so l have to go out by the other door, but woe betide me if l exit the kitchen at the top of the stairs she gets quite alarmed.

She was ever so good at bed time, going in at the first ask. I wonder what she wants?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, my boiler was finally sorted on Friday, another two parts, sigh. So I've been catching up on hot water jobs around the flat. If I leave the room, Sanjay clings to the front of his palace, itching to know where I'm going and why. He is going to bed half an hour later now that's ok.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Bet Sanjay is still getting up at 8 am? tut tut.

Billie gets up at 7 am willy nilly, l throw back the curtains and she is blinking in the brightness. We do not get the sun until afternoons. She has been very good today apart from biting me on the cheek. What Cheek l said l had some wooden sticks in my hand and she wanted me to give her one but they have gone rock hard, so l was collecting them together to throw away.

To show her there was no hard feelings l bought her a soft blue toy when l was out shopping, it looks like a dragon. In a book l wrote the dragon is called Oodles because he is short of noodles, I put the dragon toy on the cage and Billie looked at it from above and the below then she reached up to bite a foot.

I yelled "Ouch!" and she nearly jumped out of her skin! Later l went to take it off the cage and the fuss she made you would have thought it was the end of the world. And she sang today which was lovely, l asked her "What keeps you off the stage?" But she was non plussed and l thought all along it was the broom.

I was going to leave Oodles in her cage but l thought Oodles would be scared so l did not.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has a sqeaky chipmunk toy, he likes to give it a good beaking to. I wouldnt dream of waking him early, he would look like death warmed up.