I Think I Have Figured Out The Kind Of Toy My IRNs Like

Moderator: Mods

jenica1026

I Think I Have Figured Out The Kind Of Toy My IRNs Like

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi all,

I have shared with you all various toys I have made since we have had Rise and Shine and yes, there is something to "new-ness" of a toy but depending on the toy, they may lose interest fast.

I have spent a lot of money on toys to have them check it out and then just leave it - if I go over and check it out, they will, too, but it is fleeting. So as I have created the latest toys of whiffle balls, milkshake straws and popsicle stick toys, I realized they really like pulling out the straws and/or get the popsicle sticks out of the straws and then pull the straws out of the whiffle ball. As I watched Rise with a straw pulled out of the whiffle ball and then continue to pull out the popsicle stick, it struck me they like the challenge of pull them out. They will literally empty the whiffle ball of all the straws/popsicle sticks if they can. And while Rise sat on my computer during this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgxWiKKcCjY ), I saw him rotate the straw in the whiffle ball as to unscrew it and test it to see if he could pull it out.

Anyway, I am looking at their toys differently now. I am looking for toys that can be pulled apart like puzzles - I suppose the foraging toys might work but they are happy taking things apart for now. I can look back on other toys I have made and they did the same think of pulling the straws/popsicles out - it wasn't the material (straws, etc.) as their previous owner said they like to undo knots in rope.

Has anyone else seen this with your IRN(s)? If so, what toys out there do they like? I know so of you have said buttons and I can see where this is a challenge to undo the buttons. Jan
AJPeter

Re: I Think I Have Figured Out The Kind Of Toy My IRNs Like

Post by AJPeter »

Billie does not undo buttons she cuts the cotton holding the button in place. Her best toy has been the hood of a gaberdine raincoat with the zip taken out, she likes to scratch on it and hiding under it. She does not "do" toys, l roll a wooden ball towards her and she carefully side steps it.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Mav likes the balls with bells in them. Don't know if you already tried that. Pack of 4 from petco goes for about 2 dollars. He'll throw them around all day plays on the floor by himself for hours.
jenica1026

Post by jenica1026 »

Hi Maverick and AJPeter,

I guess it's good we have found something our babies like as my boys like to sit on top of their playstands and play so I hang things that they can pull up to themselves and then use as foot toys.

We have miniature dachshunds and if they drop things the dogs would either have their toys or them if they would go to the floor for the toy. The dogs and birds are well supervised and the birds are fully flighted so there so (Lord willing) never be a time the dogs would be able to hurt them and like I said they are all well supervised when the birds are out. They are caged when we are not able to watch them and/or we leave the house and thus far no escape artist (we have locks on their cage doors but that hasn't stopped some birds. Our dogs are contained in our kitchen when we are not at home as well.

I do think it would be fun to see them play on the floor with a ball with a bell and certainly cheaper and less time consuming then making toys for the boys. Has Mav been doing this for years and never getting bored? If so, what a good bird you have! Likewise, if Billie is content to play as she does - how nice for her and you!!

I am just thankful we found something they like to do even if it cost a little (straws and popsicle sticks aren't bad) and some of my time - I made up 3 toys (well 6 but 3 were just the straws on cotton rope) yesterday and I can see they have 2 of the whiffle balls with straws missing and of course, the other straws are well bit - they will be bored soon so either today or tomorrow, I will be redoing these whiffle balls. But like I said, I have found something they like to do - thank God!! Jan

PS Are your birds happy to play (I think Maverick has said so) without a lot of attention from you? So far, because the boys were not tame as such, they are happy to play and eat and just recently are they trying to spend time with us. It's nice but we had some cockatiels that all they wanted was head rubs and just doesn't work when you are trying to clean house, cook, just life things, etc. - so I am hoping Rise and Shine will be content to play most of the time on their own as they are now. Is that reasonable for IRNs?