Scratched Beak

Moderator: Mods

AussieGirl

Scratched Beak

Post by AussieGirl »

Hi All

I know this may sound a little silly :oops: , but my little Aussie's beak isn't looking as bright and shiny as it used to. Around the rim it is brown, which seems to be getting more prominent, and his beak also has a lot of scratches on it, all over.
In his cage he has a mineral block, calcium perch, and cuttlefish - all which I've been told, keeps their beaks in good condition.
Is this normal for all the scratches?
I know it sounds silly, but I am hoping it's just because he is a rough nut, and not because he is lacking anything or getting ill.....

Thanks for your help!
Sarah
AussieGirl

questions

Post by Guest »

Hi,
I know just what you are talking about. I think they get the scratches from rubbing their becks on their cages. I am not sure what you can do about it though. I have a hen that looks pretty rough. I thought about putting some vaseoline on it but haven't. I hope someone else has a thought on the subject. Sorry I am not much help, but I thought you would like to know your bird is not the only one!
phoebebird

Post by phoebebird »

My birdie went to the vet and they sanded and buffed her beak down so it looked nice and shiny. Maybe you could take him/her to the vet. It's nothing serious though I don't think.