Mistyerious clutch

Moderator: Mods

Kappa

Mistyerious clutch

Post by Kappa »

Hi everyone,
This season I decided to put my deep green cock to a DF violet hen. The reason I did this was due to the reaction the green cock received from those who have had experience with the Misty mutation. The reaction was based on how much he reminded them of a Misty, especially the photo with flash. (Shey's post on photos re: dark and deep greens).

Here are some current photos of the cock in different lighting taken without flash on a sunny but at times cloudy day. As you can see his colour can change so much depending on how bright or dull it becomes.

Since all the information available states that Misty can be very difficult to pick in green and also blue, but makes a dramatic and very obvious change in phenotype of violet, my though process was, to put him with a hen that would produce the most obvious difference in phenotype of violet that I was used to seeing. To ensure this would happen I selected a proven DF violet hen which has bred true to form in the past.

I knew that all the chicks should be sf violet in some form, and knew what phenotypes to expect, and any variation from the norm would suggest that the cock bird may well be something other than deep.

So the resulting offspring from this pair were 2 violet greens and a violet blue. However, as they feathered up I was surprised to see that all 3 chicks looked more like carrying dark than violet.

Here are some early photos:

What I did next was to set up a comparison photo which compared my violet to a EU cobalt and a violet turquoise. So in the photo below we have the EU cobalt at the top, the violet Turquoise to the left and, my feather plucked violet to the right. The results were even more dramatic than I even expected.

Clearly my violet looks more like a cobalt than a violet and with out knowing its genetics no one would pick it as a violet. All 3 chicks have expressed a different violet phenotype which is more dark looking than violet. Next season I will focus my efforts on producing a DF of the mutation, which may or may not be Misty, and hopefully be able to finally identify it 100% one way or another.

Some of you have had a chance to view these photos and I'm very grateful for the responses you have made and the advice you have given. Nevertheless, I welcome more of your thoughts and those of others that maybe able to shed some light on my results.

Just some final thoughts, I feel that my cock may not be deep after all, and I am 100% positive about the genetics of the DF violet hen. She is from a breeder who keeps excellent records, and I completely trust, so don't believe she is part of this equation.

Regards,
Kappa.
madas

Re: Mistyerious clutch

Post by madas »

They look like the khaki violets of Mr. Ehrenbrink.

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for posting the photos of the Khaki chicks. There is a very strong resemblance to my violet, the flights look the same as well, which when compared to the EU cobalt were not as "blue"

What is your opinion in regards to the phenotype of my green cock bird?

Also, has there been any new information gathered in regards to misty, khaki are they considered the same or are they different mutations? In much of the information I have been able to find, the general consensus is that they are regarded to be the same. What is your view on this?

Thank you once a gain for your input it has been very valuable.
Cheers,
Kappa.
Last edited by Kappa on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Hi Kappa, the deep violet will be darker than the violet you compare with the true violet chick, so my guess is definitely towards something like misty. The greyish overtone in the main tail feather also hints at this. Have you ever produced a normal chick from this cock bird? I'm curious, seeing as you mention that all three chicks produced carry the mutation.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Johan,
I totally agree with you in regards to the phenotype of a violet deep, it is definitely not being expressed here.

As for the cock, I have produced 4 chicks from him, a rising 2yr old cock and these 3 chicks. I'm am confident that that I have not produced a normal chick out of this cock yet. I may be just very lucky, as sometimes the odds are stacked in your favour. For example what's the odds of having 3 or 4 mauves in a clutch of 5, out of a pair of cobalts? Not very high, but it does happen.

I don't believe that cock is a df. Those odds would be incomprehensible.

The two violet green chicks have very little visable violet just like the violet chick. This is what makes me believe they also carry the mutation. Having said that, sometimes when the light hits them just right they are the most irredescent colour I have yet to see. Especially in the rump and tail.

I have tried to capture this irredescence with the flash but not very successfully.

I will take more photos over the weekend when I can recruit an extra pair of hands, as taking photos of them is very difficult.
devilangel09

Post by devilangel09 »

in that photo you can see a tint of blue i also see that in my budgies its just what the light reflects its not the birds colour or anything hidden btw ur hens beautiful
arrow1island

Post by arrow1island »

Your Deep Cock is split blue... hence the darker blue chicks & the darker looking violet
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi devilangel09,
Thank you for your kind words.

Hi arrow1island,
You're absolutely correct, my green cock bird is split for blue. However, the hen is a DF violet and as such all the chicks therefore carry violet. My concern is why isn't it being expressed as expected?

Some updated photos with flash .

Wing of the violet green.

As can be seen in the photos there is an obvious lack of normal violet expression in both birds. The violet green bird has dark green flights and tail. It lacks the violet blue and only has the slightest hint of "blueness" in the tail.
devilangel09

Post by devilangel09 »

waste of time using flash as that does not show the true coours you need natural light and if these chicks are split to blue then its clear that they should be able to pass it on to there chicks when they have them