breeding ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

lollypop

breeding ringnecks

Post by lollypop »

I have just managed to breed my first clutch of Indian ringnecks. As stated before I thought the last baby had broken its hip or leg. Breeding was a 2 1/2 year old lutino female and a blue male. I have 1 lutino (beautiful) and 4 green yellow babies. However the last baby hatched didn''t emerge when the others did. On observation the parents had stopped feeding this chick. After x-rays at the vet we discovered that the chick had not formed a hip joint. No ball or socket. Trying to work out if there was a possible lack of something in the diet for the parents. I have three other pairs that have laid eggs or about to. Should I increase something in the diet or could it be genetic. The parents are not related in any way. Could anyone suggest thing I might try.
Wessel Gordon

Re: breeding ringnecks

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Lollypop,

I'm not an experienced breeder at all but considering the fact that the dead chick's siblings are all fine it seems that genetics didn't play a part and that it was just a bad stroke of luck for this poor guy. From reading on the internet and from several forums it seems like if you breed anything for a substantial period of time you're either going to get babies that die or have deformities for no apparent reason...just part of nature, unfortunately.

Regards,
Wessel