blue cock green hen surprises all round

Moderator: Mods

shaun4rmsa

blue cock green hen surprises all round

Post by shaun4rmsa »

Hi all, haven't been active in some time, dog shows taking up way too much time. Just thought I'd share and give an update on my hand raised breeding pair. So the first year together I was happy to have them pair up so quickly, the hen at the ripe ol' age of 7, the cock 4. That first year the produced only 2 babies, a cinnamon and a green. I kept the cinnamon hen and will be pairing her with a pastelgrrey cock as I think that would yield the most variety regarding colour? What do you guys think? Anyway last season, some will remember my concerned post about the hen becoming nest bound and laying on what was in the end 16 eggs. Being a newbie I didn't know what to do not having other pairs and not wanting to buy a brooder for 1 pair of IRN's, I just removed some of what looked like the older eggs, leaving only four. Regardless, it was a fruitless season, with no babies. This year she only laid 5 eggs, and of the 5 only 1 hatched(think she might be too old for a brood hen). Anyway to my surprise the baby turned out to be Lutino, so correct me if I'm wrong but does that make her a hen as well like the cinnamon was? Anyway just wanted to share my luck of the draw having bought 2 pet IRN's a green hen and a blue cock, not knowing about split,dominant, sex-linked, hand raised them, and was lucky enough to not only breed lutino from them, but cinnamon as well. If the Lutino is a hen then what would be the best bet for a cock bird? Pastelblue/ino? Creamino?Albino? Thanks for reading. Shaun
Attachments
IMG-20141025-02055.jpg
willowisp71

Re: blue cock green hen surprises all round

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Shaun,

So it appears you blue cock is split to both ino AND cinnamon then? And yes, the Lutino chick will be a hen, and also split to blue. According to the GenCalc, it could also be Lutino Cinnamon/blue - although I don't know how accurate this is, and what, if possible, the visual differences between a Lutino and a Lutino Cinnamon would be???

It'd be pretty cool, though, if next time your pair breed, you get a blue in the mix (meaning your green hen is split to blue) - t will mean you can get almost all the colours of the rainbow, lol :lol:

Green, blue, yellow, white - and then your cinnamon in the mix also :D
Regards Deb
shaun4rmsa

Re: blue cock green hen surprises all round

Post by shaun4rmsa »

Hi Deb, thanks for the reply, yes in my first posts I recall mentioning that I thought the the blue cock had 1 Lutino parent and you did a whole outlay for me if that was true, and this confirms it. Just very bummed that I don't have more babise in a year, I suppose it could be the hen's age! I should also mention, I don't know if fledgling Lutino is different than after moulting but this baby is not a bright yellow as you can probably make out from my shoddy pic hahaha, she is a more dulled colour, but as mentioned I don't know that much so she might be bright yellow after first moult. Would be great if I could get more chicks out of a clutch to see if the hen is split to anything. What do you think about mypairing the cinnamon/blue to a pastelgrey(turquoisegrey)? As for the lutino(lutino cinnamon/blue) would you try for creamino or another route with her?

Thanks for always taking an interest even when we are only silly pet breeders and not serious hobbiests lol