ADVICE PLEASE: Parents feeding one chick, but not other?

Moderator: Mods

willowisp71

ADVICE PLEASE: Parents feeding one chick, but not other?

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi all, just a query about whether it's 'normal' for the parent birds to load up one chick full of food before starting with the other?
Pepper and Skittles have been doing a pretty good job with their 2 chicks so far, but I have noticed that they appear to be 'favouring' the younger red-eyed chick more than the day older chick. By the end of the day, they both have full crops, but Miss Redeye always looks fuller than her older sibling.

Now today, parents have been in at least 4 times to feed the babies since 7am, and after checking each time, the older bub STILL hasn't been fed by parents - yet Miss Redeye has a full crop.

I'm trying not to worry but - is it TIME TO WORRY??? :( The poor thing has been softly crying on and off all morning, where as Miss Redeye is quite content and I only hear her louder 'feed me' sounds when parents are in there feeding her. :?

Do I need to pull the older chick for hand rearing? Or am I just being a worrywort? What signs should I look out for to tell if mum and dad are neglecting him/her? Mum still protective of both and keeping them warm.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks.
Regards Deb
Wessel Gordon

Re: ADVICE PLEASE: Parents feeding one chick, but not other?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Deb,

Check my reply under "we have eggs".

You're not a worrywort. Personally I would rather worry about something like this and try to do something about it then not worry and have something bad happen. Unfortunately, as you know, I learned that the hard way with IRN babies.

Good luck.

Wessel