semi-new owner

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

datchapin

semi-new owner

Post by datchapin »

Well, I guess my story with birds started with my mom. She would always go and buy lovebirds from this guy at the flea market. Anyways, at first I wasn't all that high on them until I saw Kino, (that was my first bird.) He's a blue cinamon male. At least I think he is he looks like all the other one's I've seen, but mine's wingtips are getting black edges on the wings and the tail is also getting darker. The person I bought him from said he was about eleven months old so that would now make him a year and a month old. I think it's cool seeing his ring come out. Well it's not distinct yet, but it looks like its developing ok. Ok, moving on the breeder (I use that term loosely) advised me on how to handle them. Now that I've dealt with Kino for a while I question this breeders methods. He grabbed the birds barehanded and stuffed them in a cage, he said to grab them with leather gloves to teach them not to bite and whatnot. However I just couldn't bring myself to do it like he advised, it looked almost cruel when I tried it and I feel like maybe I made the situation worse. I bought some books and started using a towel. I still don't know how to get him out of the cage. Right now I just leave the cage door open and let him do what he wants. Then when evening rolls around I use the towel to wrap him up and put him back in the cage. He seems to be getting used to this because he doesn't try to bite anymore and he's climbing into the cage from the towel so I feel like I might be doing something right. I spent alot of time just watching them and repeating phrases, even though I have no idea what they think seeing me make a fool of myself. There's alot I want to ask and tell, but I don't know how to go about it yet. So to make a long story short this weekend I bought an albino cream female from the same guy. I didn't know it was albino until today so that was nice to know. Anyways, I'm trying to decide on a name. What sounds better Kanu, or Kani. My little brother suggested I name it pee stain, but I'm not going to go into that discussion. Well, I guess that's all for now, any pointers are welcome. Matter of fact, I'm begging for them. Please don't hate me if I'm not doing well yet. I'm still learning and hopefully everything'll get better.
datchapin

Post by datchapin »

I'm sorry, I'm pretty scatterbrained. My mom went for the lovebirds but the guy had a variety of birds and I was drawn to Kino. I guess that was obvious from my story, but I just thought I would clarify that.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Hi and welcome! First off...we don't hate for lack of knowledge. Most of us here began as newbies ourselves...just sit back and learn. Do ask plenty of questions as well!

Dani
julie

Post by julie »

hello and welcome :D
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I just woke up so I dont want to touch this right now, but as always... I have plenty to say about it. If I dont respond to this, please PM me datchapin.

We have alot to talk about. That breeder seems to have told you all the things NOT to do with a ringneck and we need to adjust that as quickly as possible.

Breeders are really really good or really really bad... no in between.
~ Mikaela Sky

venus

Post by venus »

welcome
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Welcome to the family here at IRN.
Is your albino a baby bird? It sounds like your instincts are
better than that breeder's advice. I'm no expert but I wish you well with your birdies. Are you wanting to keep them together and maybe
breed them or are you thinking just for pets for you?
Give the bird some fresh fruit or veggies in a food cup but make sure he sees you put it there. If he likes the food and eats it then see if you can eventually get him to take it off an open hand. Or if he will step up onto your hand to eat it. My birdie likes raisins. If he sees I have raisins he goes crazy trying to get to the raisin. I usually only give him one or two a day so I can save it as a special treat.
Hope it goes well and you love your new buddies.

Sue and Nila :)
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
datchapin

Post by datchapin »

Bird crazy wrote:Welcome to the family here at IRN.
Is your albino a baby bird? It sounds like your instincts are
better than that breeder's advice. I'm no expert but I wish you well with your birdies. Are you wanting to keep them together and maybe
breed them or are you thinking just for pets for you?
Give the bird some fresh fruit or veggies in a food cup but make sure he sees you put it there. If he likes the food and eats it then see if you can eventually get him to take it off an open hand. Or if he will step up onto your hand to eat it. My birdie likes raisins. If he sees I have raisins he goes crazy trying to get to the raisin. I usually only give him one or two a day so I can save it as a special treat.
Hope it goes well and you love your new buddies.

Sue and Nila :)

Thanks for your advice. I tried raisins among other things, but they seem not to really be into them, what I've found they liked is this white I'm sorry I'm not sure of the name, but when I go for vietnamese soups they always serve it along with my order. My birds at first were real shy about it, but now it's come to the point where they don't wait for me to give them some, but they come down to the table and try to beat me to them. My albino is more enthused about it at the moment about the food right now. My blue one is molting so its a little more cautious, but I catch it eating with the white one when I'm not too close. Well, I hadn't planned to breed and at the moment it's still not something I'm considering, but my two birds are getting along extremely well so it might not even be up to me. Sorry, I haven't posted in so long, but I'm not a big computer user. I'm hoping to set up a scanner one of these days so I can post some pictures. Thanx for the advice.
Bird crazy

new birdies

Post by Bird crazy »

glad it's going well for you. Are you able to handle the birds without a towel now? Have you started the step up training that's necessary to have
a tame pet?

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat