Please help

Moderator: Mods

Baby bird sky

Please help

Post by Baby bird sky »

I have a baby ring neck that is about 4 weeks old. I am battling to get it to eat, could someone please give me some advise. I don't want to force it and stress it out or make it afraid of me. Please help!
sanjays mummi

Re: Please help

Post by sanjays mummi »

You don't say how long you have had your chickster,I got Sanjay at 8 wks, and for the first few days he didn't eat But he did sip water. He mostly sat like a wee statue and "listened". Give your baby time to settle, give him space and quiet, only do the minimum for a few days, then, when you can see he is more relaxed, offer yummy foods, fruit and veg, walnut pieces etc.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Baby Bird Sky

I agree with Sanjay's mummi.

At some point survival instinct will kick in (even at that age) and it will start to at least nibble on things so just make sure you give it a variety of healthy, beak-watering food and snack.

I suspect the chick was hand-reared and not fully weaned yet because of it's age, is that the case? If it is and it was my chick I would get some of the formula it was fed by the previous caretaker and see if it will eat any of it. If it does then you can gradually start to mix in a tiny amount of Budgie seed into the formula to get it used to more "solid" food. When I hand-reared chicks I always mixed some of the Budgie seed in as they begin to refuse formula...it's softer and more digestible for their young digestive tract. From there on you move onto the food the bird will eventually be fed, especially all the things the previous poster mentioned. If the bird was hand-reared it's common for them to start refusing formula when they are ready to wean and skip a meal and then move on to the "big bird" food, although it won't refuse some formula if offered in the beginning.

Please keep us up to date about how the chick is doing.

Wessel
Baby bird sky

Post by Baby bird sky »

I've had him for a week now. I'm feeding him the same as the breeder and the same way as the breeder. He doesn't even get 5 ml in every few hours. I keep trying. I'm keeping him warm, food is perfect temp but still nothing. He doesn't shiver when I hold him anymore and is starting to scream at me but still won't eat. At what age can you start weaning them?
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

The weaning age really depends on the individual bird but anywhere from 8-10 weeks they start to be weaned.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Have you asked the breeder you got him from for advice/help?
Baby bird sky

Post by Baby bird sky »

Hi, I have tried contacting him but haven't reached him. The last time I spoke to him he said the baby has to settle in. I had the baby at the vet, they fed hom via tube which I can't do. He said the baby is younger that I was told and the breeder uses the wrong food.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Looks like you may be paying the vet to raise your baby?
-MissK
Baby bird sky

Post by Baby bird sky »

I got my baby eating like a dream!