IRN Reunited and Adjustment--Please Help

Moderator: Mods

femnq87g

IRN Reunited and Adjustment--Please Help

Post by femnq87g »

Hi all,

I have an IRN that was just reunited with me after being lost for 2 months and 17 days. This IRN was given to me as a gift from a previous owner, so I never had to train him or tame him, however, we had an amazing bond. My IRN never bit me and never had an attitude with me; he always displayed love towards me. Now, after being reunited, it is as if he doesn't remember me and has been attacking my hand and displays a fear of me. I have been trying to tame him, however it has been difficult for me, especially emotionally, because I'm missing the sweet bird I once had. He's also not sleeping like he once was, has spurts of anger, and rarely makes a sound. He also used to say peek a boo and what are you doing, but hasn't said those sayings yet. Will my IRN ever remember me or go back to being the bird he once was? Are there any steps I should take to help my bird adjust after being lost for so long?
Donovan

Re: IRN Reunited and Adjustment--Please Help

Post by Donovan »

How did you find this bird after so long? That's Awesome.

IRNs can go wild without interaction, plus he probably had some rough experiences as well as facing constant life threatening situations. Work with him like he's new and in time he will remember i suspect. He might even start talking again. Also are you certain that's your bird?
femnq87g

Post by femnq87g »

I know! I'm so grateful he was found. Yes, I'm sure its him. I just kept updating his lost postings online. There were several organizations online dedicated to finding lost birds and they encouraged me not to give up. He flew on a woman's head and she was a bird owner herself, so she checked online and seen my posting.
Thank you so much for your advice, I will adhere.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. That's quite remarkable. Specifically how did you ascertain that this is your bird?

After an absence of less than three months I would expect that your bird just needs to get comfortable and "remember" what he used to do. I'm quite certain he would not simply forget you - these are smart birds with memory. However, since he left he has been concentrating on other things, probably like how to stay alive. That's just bound to take priority. But I don't think he would forget, forever, what he used to say or skills he knew over a long time. My bird says various things from his previous home that I have not reinforced because I don't understand what he's saying. It's interesting that he makes these noises, but they are not worth keeping. Still, every now and then, he says them.

Certainly I am no expert here, and have just my gut to go on. However, my gut says start at the beginning and retrain him, and I expect he will progress rapidly.
-MissK