Adult male and female actions

Moderator: Mods

Whinney48

Adult male and female actions

Post by Whinney48 »

Hi, I have a pair of irns. I read that the way you can tell a male from a female is the way they position their heads. Throwing it back is female, forward male. Is this true? Because the one I was told is male will throw its head back! He is suppose to be between two and three years old and I believe he's starting to get his ring. He is a blue. Thanks!
Wessel Gordon

Re: Adult male and female actions

Post by Wessel Gordon »

hi Whinney

As far as I know those actions aren't conclusive proof. If you can post us a picture or two of the male (especially the head and neck area) we might be able to help you more. At his age he should start showing signs of a ring anyway if it is male.

Wessel
Whinney48

Post by Whinney48 »

I believe he's starting to get a ring?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (57.09 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Whinney48

Post by Whinney48 »

Another pic
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.72 KiB) Viewed 2848 times
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Whinney,

I hate to disappoint but from the photo's, while there is a lighter band of feathers around the neck-area, I do not see a darkening to black in those specific areas that would convince me it's a male. Either he's a late bloomer or it's indeed a female. If it was my bird I would have him/her sexed to be 100% sure because I have a 10 year old female that I actually sexed twice because she has a very distinct "ring"; not the black and white of the mature blue but a blue ring that's common in young birds, but especially in her case.

Perhaps someone with sharper, younger eyes and more experience can help us out. I will gladly stand corrected if it is indeed male.

Regards,

Wessel
Whinney48

Post by Whinney48 »

Thank you. I'm becoming more and more convinced I have a girl. Today she/he had her head back and was making those funny noises. I'm really disappointed because I was told they were a pair.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My blue female has a ring like that. At 2-3 years of age though your bird may not yet be mature and the ring may come next moult. If you do have two females please watch for any aggression as they mature. Separate them if necessary.

Ellie.
Whinney48

Post by Whinney48 »

Yes, the blue is much more aggressive than the green. Another indication of a female?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Not necessarily. I think that you should get a DNA sexing or a surgical sexing done if you want to be sure. Immature ringnecks can exhibit both male and female behaviours when they are young.

Ellie.