Vometing after formula.

Moderator: Mods

Wild_brumby

Vometing after formula.

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi guys,

Not to sure if this is the right section to post in.... So my apologies if I should have posted it elsewhere.

I have been hand raising for a few years now. All with success and babies have grown up happy and healthy. I am currently raising 4 bubs. The 2 I am slightly concerned about are between 4-5weeks old. I've been feeding them since about 3 weeks old. They had been feeding perfectly fine, no dramas at all.

However the last couple of days they have been slightly difficult to feed. They are still getting fed 3 times a day, and getting 10mls regardless if they don't want it....

Now, a couple of times when I've fed them, put them back in their 'bed', they do what appears to be vomet. Not much, just a little bit dribbling down either side of their beak. Their formula hasn't changed, temperature and consistency of the formula is still the same. They seem bright eyed, happy and active enough still, walking around the cage, stretching their wings etc.

They do not vomet after every meal, just the odd one here and there.

Any idea on why they have just started vometing sometime?

Thank you heaps for any help you can provide!
Sarah
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Vometing after formula.

Post by ringneck »

Hey Sarah,

It sounds like the babies are refusing to eat. Believe it or not, some babies are lazy eaters. This was the case with Archimedes, Anakin, and Regan. I would feed them more throughout the day rather than three large feedings. It really worked great! :wink:

Another thing too, perhaps the babies might like their food a few degrees warmer. I've tried that and have had success.

One more important thing, if you feel that the birds might need medical attention, I would take them to a vet. It sounds like the crop is working--so that's a good sign. I know you've handfed for many years, but just be sure to not over stretch the crop. It sounds like it might be this too as ringnecks come in all sizes. :D

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Wild_brumby

Re: Vometing after formula.

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hey,

Thanks heaps! :) I did wonder if they where simply refusing to eat and by vometing after feeding they where just trying to prove a point lol

I have made the last few meals slightly warmer for them. Still a slight mission to actually feed them, but the last few times the food has stayed down which is good! :)

I'll be sure to keep an eye on them, and if I do believe the vet is necessary, that's where we'll be headin! :) Hopefully though we will not need to make that trip.

I'll just keep at it whether they want to eat or not haha
Thanks again!
Sarah