To split up or not to split up?

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

To split up or not to split up?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

I have a 10 year old female and about an 8 year old male that is closely bonded. Due to plucking issues the female never incubated an egg successfully in her entire life, although she occasionally will lay a clutch and not incubate them plus she goes through the motions of "breeding" every breeding season such as cleaning the nest and sitting in it for hours on end every day. I want to make it clear that the nest was put in their cage because of her severe plucking to keep her warm and not in an attempt for her to breed.

Some members of my household feels strongly that I should separate the two and let the male breed with another female I have. However, considering the close bond between them and the fact that the male never showed any interest in any other female even if one was available, that it would be a bad mistake separating them. The two are so closely bonded that I actually fear that separating them would leave the female so lonely and isolated that she might just pine away slowly.

I don't know: maybe I'm humanizing the situation too much but I enjoy watching these two interact like an old married couple and don't want to break that up for the sake of a few potential babies from another pairing with the male.

Any thoughts, ideas or input would be much appreciated.

Wessel