Billie the wonder parrot part 2

Moderator: Mods

AJPeter

Re: Billie the wonder parrot part 2

Post by AJPeter »

Egg is back on the menu, Billie laid another egg last night, l have not touched this one, l put some scrunched up newspaper in for her to make a nest but she ignorred it so l threw in some toilet tisssue she ripped that up.

At bed time Billie was hiding under the news paper.

She did not get much sleep last night well none of us did, noisy neighbour problem. The weather has changed it is cooler today. I do not like the warm weather.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

We had a gorgeous day, with a lovely fresh breeze, the ladybirds have come out of hiding in my garden. Sanjay continues to nibble on his largesse, but he isn't allowed too many in one day. He doesn't "do" origami, preferring to beat toys up or play footie with the jingly balls on the roof of his palace.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Sanjay is a sensible IRN not like the Queen, l uncovered her this morning and she was sitting on the floor of the cage, "What are you doing l?" asked her. "Well l am not pole sitting!" She was sitting on her egg.

Today has been a prelude to more egg laying l am sure as she was just sitting on my hand with her eyes closed. She made half hearted attempts to masturbate on me but l kept putting her back in the cage l think she gave up.

I am little bit worried as her pooh is very runny although it stiffened up later. She has been eating like a horse, scoffing the new seed mix as if there was no tomorrow, also she ate a lot from the veg bowl and even tucked into the pellets. She loves the pomegranite and that is all gone by the morning.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Bedford is a very diverse town, and I bought a bowl full of little pomegranates today for a pound, just the right size for himself, Halal chicken legs we can share, four for two pound fifty, and of course, the obligatory papaya and melon etc. when I get home with my sholley, Sanjay always comes to the cage door bobbing his head excitedly, "wotcha got for me, then?". On work days he stays on his back perch and says hello in his own way, so he is clever enough to know when I've been shopping or not. Billie must enjoy egg laying if she wants to hatch your chicks.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

She is weird! So far this month she has laid two eggs, the first 5 days later she ate it, the next day l she laid another egg and l kept well away from it, however it was looking a bit ragged this evening.
Last night l left the gas fire on pilot it provides just a little heat but tonight l turned it off completely
I want her to realize it is winter and not spring just round the corner and to stop laying.

Oh well we will have to wait and see.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Maybe the clocks falling back an hour at the weekend will help, although it has never affected our animals tummy clocks. It hasn't been chilly enough here for the heating to be switched on yet.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Oh dear, what can the matter be? Billie has laid another egg. One she ate, 6 days later she laid another and now 2 days later she has laid a third. In my my book that is a clutch and enough is enough l say so l have moved the cage and angled it across a corner. More drastic measures will follow if she lays another.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I bought some vitamin liquid for Billie it will go in her food tomorrow. Today she has been very good, has not wanted to go on the floor but did want to land on my shoulder and tried to fly into my lap, she was having as truggle to get both eggs under her so l thought l would help by providing a perspex box that housed the note lets, they got the old heave ho, and l lined the box with cotton wool and gingerly picked her eggs and put them into the box, she was just sitting next to them and watched me.

But oh dear cotton wool and parrots do not mix, she got some over her head and got her foot trapped in some so I took the cotton wool out of the box and put in cut up strips of toilet tissue but she was not happy with this arrangement and started top pull out the strips, so l took out the box and carefully put her eggs back on the floor of the cage. I remember Ellie saying that once they sit on the eggs they have finished laying, I truly hope so.

How ever we have contingency pans in hand if she lays another egg most of her cage furniture will be taken out and if that does not stop her it will be a move into the bedroom which finally stopped her before and then it could be a visit to the vets.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I think l have messed up, Billie was making weird noises tonight after l put her to bed so l reached in and stroked her but it was a bit awkward so l lifted her up and there was an egg under her. I do not know at the moment if this is a new egg (probable she was due to lay tonight) or one she was sitting on and she has been sitting on her eggs.

Have to wait until tomorrow. It has left me on tenter hooks.

I gave the cage a good clean this morning and when l put the tray back in l lined it with news paper, l have not done this since her old cage which had a rusty metal tray, but with this cage has a plastic tray there was no need to line it but l think Billie thought the idea really grand. She went round reading all the head lines as one does when you lift an old carpet and find 20 year old copies of the news papers, she was tickled pink, Although she did rip it in places mostly it was intact when she went to bed. I put extra crumpled newspapers in and that is why l could not see how many eggs she has laid.

Billie has not looked for new nesting site for two weeks and is not interested in going on the floor. But she still makes half hearted attempts to mastubate on me l keep saying "No thanks"
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Phew! Billie has not laid another egg, this morning l had to go for a blood test, and umcovered her really early and she was sitting on two eggs, Later l gave the floor of the cage a good clean and there were only the two eggs!

What a relief!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hopefully that's the end of that for another year!. Sanjay is really chuffed, fresh figs and prickly pear are available again, messy but yummy!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Figs are not the tops with Billie she did eat a quarter well the inside left the peel I have not tried her with prickly pear.

Billie sits on her two eggs all day coming out for a stroke or a snack, she is more settled now, l gave her a squirt of water from the spray bottle she dived to the bottom of the cage and gave me a look of reproach that would have frozen the heart of the good mariner.

She likes to have a blanket wrap shutting out a lot of the light in the afternoons. I was quite amazed she slept through the fireworks last night, l kept popping back in to see if she was awake but not a sound!

Also she hates getting up in the mornings, this morning l uncovered her at the normnal time 8.30 am cleaned her cage and she did not stir except to poop until 10 am! She leads the life of O'reily.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

The clocks go back an hour tonight, so Billie and Sanjay will get an extra hour in bed without realising it. Yes, its the seeds inside the figs they love, just as its the seeds inside peppers, or on the outside of strawberries they crave. The staff at the charity shop are dressing up next Friday, I'm going as the bride of Frankenstein, a la Elsa Lanchester, what Sanjays reaction will be I dread to think! Especially to the wig.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

He would hardly notice :oops:

Billie was itching a lot today so she had a shower in the bathroom, and loved it and l misted her with that stuff you recomended. She is still sitting on her eggs, l dropped the kitchen brush on one twice but it seemed charmed.

Neighbour locked her self in and could not get the door open at 1 am she started to panic and was screaming and kicking at the door l persuaded her to put the keys through the letter box and opened the door from the outside, she was awake at 5 30 banging away with a hammer at 7 she went out and has not come back.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Oh good grief! We had an alcoholic neighbour who fell into her empty bath tub at 4 am she screamed blue murder too, couldn't get out, we couldn't get in to help and the fire brigade had to be summoned. Anyway, after more drunken antics, she was eventually evicted and died a year later. Sanjay Hates it if I wear anything new, he pretends not to recognise me and scares himself silly for a while, so he will Definitely notice. How people will react when I get the bus to work is anyones guess!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have heard before about birds biting because of a new hair style or change of clothes, becareful with Sanjay. Billie is siill sitting on her eggs every so often she calls me over, "Its your turn to sit on the eggs l want to stretch my legs." Sort of thing.

We have had a lot of alkys over the past 25 years that l have been here, one used to get his key ready and then fall over on his back all night still holding the key up! Others would collapse on the hedges, most leave a trail of empty tins and bottles and although they can be noisy most are quite harmless. The worst kind are those who earn extra money through prostitution and the drugs dealers and pimps they bring not to speak of needles and used condoms.

Soho Road has regular clean ups and they end up here but we have no empty properties at the moment.

And talking of the moment l am keeping to summer time so the Bille can have her regular time to poop, and this morning her poop was back to normal l think an elephant would be hard pressed to poop more. Some of my clocks are set to summer time and some to winter, it is fun trying to work out the time.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

What fun, how confusing!. The PC term is "Sex Workers", not allowed to call them anything else these days. The alcoholic woman who fell in.her bath was a sex worker, but not harmless, she'd served 7 yrs for manslaughter, drowned one of her mates in the bath whilst drunken. Anyway, I won't be going near himselfs palace done up like a kipper so hopefully his fright fest won't last long. I'm surprised Billies eggs aren't whiffy by now.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

You know l wondered what the funny smell was, l put it down to some under wear that had crawled under the couch. The eggs are intact, but l have not noticed them smelling, she has quite a job sitting on them both either one or the other pops out.

She had a lovely shower this afternoon, turning up side down on the clothes horse, l misted her as well and because it was getting late l used the hair drier, to dry her out a bit.

This morning she pooped on the news paper and as a reward she had some porridge made with milk.

Is your fancy dress Dracula's daughter or Frankenstein's wife? Either way you could easily be mistaken for a Goth! Is Sanjay going to get a fancy dress? Perhaps not Bille had some cloth she was chewing and got her head through a hole and she panicked.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Bride of Frankenstein, with a dark high wig complete with white zig zag streaks, and white gown, no fangs, Sanjay will dust off his Dragonfart costume. We had fish today, which himself enjoyed a morsel or two, and fresh golden dates, not those disgusting overly sweet things churned out at Yuletide every year, eugh!. Glad Billie enjoyed her shower himself semaphored me for one yesterday. Today he decided to munch my top, but didn't shred it, I told him he could saunter on to my shoulder if he was so inclined, but he wasn't, preferring to sit on top of the cage door, as usual. Hey ho, in his own time.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Phew! What's that funny smell?

You dealt it, well least said the better oh its all right its a dragon fart.

Billie said she wanted another shower but when l set up she chickened out. I was thinking today l could substitute her eggs with dummy ones but she ate two the last time she laid, they are made of chalk.

Went shopping today and half the things l bought l did not want, and half the things l wanted l did not buy, such is life.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Now That is definitely a guy thing, it isn't macho enough to take a shopping list. Dragonfart was suggested after he watched Dragonheart, and his daddi said he was too little to be Draco, and too flighty to go trick or tweeting. Oh, never mind.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Started alovely reply and then had big problems with Not Responding when l threatened to give it a big kicking and did a scan it has only just start to behave.

I do have an idiot sheet but keep losing it, l can hardly go round calling softlty "Here Here Idiot sheet. reminds me of the time l used to say when pushing a shopping trolley and bumbed into some one with a basket. "Shopping trolleys one, baskets nil!" Until l accidentally said it to a big man who theatened to black my eye if l said it again.

Which reminds me that on a crowded bus l used to say "Let a Gentleman get through." Until this man threatned to black my other eye!

I think you should let Sanjay go trick and tweeting.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I put it to himself, he said "only if Billie can come, I'm scared of the dark, there might be vampire bats about"
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie says she is too busy minding eggs, maybe another time?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, that went down well, (phew), only problem was, a few young folk who've never heard of that 1935 movie thought I was Cruella De Ville!, working in an RSPCA shop?, must have been doing community service, I would have thought. Anyway, the wig and make up didn't scare Sanjay silly, he was absolutely fascinated by it!, made little clucking noises of approval.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ellie,

That is good news about Janey, and thank you for asking the question about how long.... I have some news to share l thought l would go for a trial seperation, I put my hand under Billie while she was sitting her eggs she is such a sweetine she did not bat a hare or rabbit as I took one of her eggs away.

About an hour later she gave a bleat and stood up and rather pointedly showed me she only had one egg. I share a great empathy with Billie so l could see the trial seperation did not work! She has been flying to me a lot more but she wants to masturbate on me and each time l put her back but today she tried it on twice, the first time after repeatedly saying no with dire threats she flew back to the cage her self and the second time she pretended nothing was amiss and she started to groom on my shoulder.

What did you use for a nest? l have looked at all sorts of tin can, china bowls, plasric ashtreays but nothing will do, Billie copes with the cage floor.

OMG! I it is only 10 days since she laid an egg lthought it was at least 4 weeks. No wonder
she was upset when l took an egg away.

Sanjays Mummi

Billie purrs when l stoke her neck, l think it is great when they make noises. Today she sang most of the times she squeals like a dog. I have been whisling to her at dusk and enjoys that just sits with her eyes closed.

Glad your ordeal is over, but now Sanjay will expect you to wear your outfit all the time.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well, it is the shop anniversary party next week, and its fancy dress, they want us to dress up as cats, oh puleeze!, rather than definitely putting the wind up Sanjay, I will simply dress in black and put cat ear boppers on when I get there. He is having sing songs and serenades me daily, its this lovely mild weather.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi AJPeter

I don't think you should touch her eggs or move/remove them as this may kick her back into laying. If she was attempting to masturbate, this could be a sign of her gearing up to lay some more. Hopefully she'll tire of the eggs herself. Janey is definitely showing more signs of returning to her normal self and she's been sitting in the nest for about a month. I've probably let her stay in there too long.

I bought an Indian Ringneck nestbox from a breeder that I attach to their cage. .

Ellie.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hi Ellie,

I certainly do not want her laying again, it was a miracle she stopped this time, back in January when she laid 10 eggs she never got a chance to sit on them, now she is making the most of it. And she is quite happy to sit on Dummy eggs!.

As far a the masturbation goes l think the best policy is to stop her as quickly as possible l keep telling her+-+-++oops l have just dropped a crumb into the keyboard where was l ? Oh yes abstinence won't hurt you. But ever since last year she has tried it on, it is not something new. I was wondering whether instinct is telling her what to do, but what ever with me she has met something that her instinct would not cover. For instance she loves a bit of rough play but only if she is winning.

Hallo Sanjay Mummi

Where will it end, they will have you dressing up soon as Santa's elf, still if the customers like it then you are on a winner.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

They certainly do, and a photo of myself, the witch and the imp is being used to promote the shop on facebook. I'm no expert, but I would allow Billie to have a good wallow in being maternal, if it diverts her attention from you being their dad, that's all to the good.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Thanks for the tip, Ellie said taking Billie's eggs away too early could mean that Billie would lay again and as for the masturbation thing Bille came to my shoulder as l sat down to play the organ and started her routine grabbing my shirt with her beak and rubbing her rump on my shoulder l was just about to tell her off when she flew back to the cage.

I think Billie is jealous of the time l spend playing the organ because she makes no attempt to rub herself on me at any other time or place.

I left the cage open when l went to church and when l got back she was sitting on her eggs as if butter would not melt in her mouth!

This dressing up is the thin end of the wedge, come summer you could be wearing bathing costumes and pretending to be beauty queens.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Coo, no chance of that!, we have volunteers in their seventies and eighties, and I'm no spring chicken either. I may leave before then, I'm considering adopting a retired greyhound. Anyway, I once had a home bred Samoyed "girl" who hated it if I stopped to chat to someone, she would hump my leg, so it is entirely possible Billie is vying for attention, either that or she has different tastes in music.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Now that l realize she is jealous of my organ, l can let her play a bit more she quickly grows tired if l ignore her behaviour. I do not think she is masturbating on me and as you say it is attention seeking.

Our family had a collie which humped my 5 year old sister and my parents gave it away to a farm in Hertfordshire, the dog was name was Tiger and he signalled he wanted to come in by thumping his tail on the door. Well six months later we heard Tiger thumping he had runaway from the farm and found his was back well over 60 miles. My parents gave him back to the farmer and we never saw Tiger again/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Neutering would have sorted Tiger out. But with girl dogs it makes no difference. All this about Billies eggs reminds me of "Ice Age, dawn of the Dinosaurs", where Sid the sloth adopts dinosaur eggs and even draws faces on them, has Billie got access to crayons?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Ha Ha you are getting quite funny in your old age, no she is not allowed crayons she might draw all over the walls. I was watching this wild life film a couple of days ago and animals were scent marking there terriotory so l thought Bille was marking hers telling my organ that l am hers and the organ and l are not to make eggs, but tonight she proved me wrong, she would not take no for an answer. But after awhile she flew off and sulked in her cage.

Don't tell Billie but she is sitting on dummies. I have been giving her vitamins and she has improved a lot, mostly she poops from the top of the cage she gets really upset when l try and move along to avoid the perches. She has quite a sparkle in her eyes or it might be a glint/
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Oi! Old age indeed!, speak for yourself!. Dummies are ok, she can still draw faces on them. I have been making pomanders, and Sanjay couldn't understand why I wouldn't give him a piece of orange, even though he has his own. So he opted for shares of my yogurt instead.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Sanjay sounds like a real character he out shines Billie, today l put fresh water in one of her seed bowls just to make sure in case the bottle tube dried out. All of a sudden she started to splash water over her self although there was not enough room, I huriedly put her bathing tank back in but she ignored that and she refused a ride on my shoulder to the bath room for a proper shower, instead l misted her inside her cage she loved it hanging upside down on the bars. This was about l pm.

Then she went down and sat on the cabbage leaf on her two eggs, still wet. I covered her a later at 4.30pm and the final cover at 5 pm.

I did try her with a nesting box carefully putting her then one egg inside but she pushed it out and then ate it so these two eggs l have not tried the nesting box again but she seems quite happy to have them on the floor of the cage, but today she knocked down the cabbage leaf and pushed her eggs on top.

When she stops sitting on her eggs, l will wheigh her she has not been eating much, the quantity of poop is well down on earlier days, this morning she got me worried because she did not poop straight away but about two hours after her breakfast. It looked normal.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

In the wild, her mate would make sure she ate, but this is different, I doubt if she will wither away, and I'm sure she will make up for it once this is out of her system. Sanjay is indeed a character, he makes visitors laugh with his antics.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It was cold last night, so l dragged the nesting box out of stoarage and put it back in her cage, l can turn the opening around so she is shielded from the TV, and it is darker in there but she is not keen judging from the nosie coming from within l think she is trying to bite her way out.

However in front of her l put her eggs in, at least they are off the cage floor and it will be a little warmer in there for her. Day 29 after laying.

I was pleased as Punch when she pooped at the proper time and agoodly too. In fact she has been pooping all day. Billie is showing a healthy appetitie although she is not interested in greens but she does eat all of a 1/4 of a pomegranite.

Good old Sanjay, I tell Billie about Sanjay she is green with envy, Oops! She is green.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have hardly seen Billie all day, there was a strange digging noise come from within the nesting box sp l turned it around so l could see what was going and an irate Alexandrine came out allowed me to stroke her neck and went back in again.

Still l was able to get on with a load of chores, took the trash out, got my winter clothers out of the cupboard above the stairs and put away the summer clothes. Claimed the rebate from the Warm home front it is worth £140 and will be paid in March.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Its paid much sooner, I got mine a few Weeks ago, March is the cut off date. Anyway, it was bitter here yesterday, the shop wasn't heated, I felt a bit sorry for wild birds. Sanjay lets me scritch his neck, but not for long!
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

They really love us, this afternoon Billie was happy as a sand martin in her nestbox thinking about what names to give her chicks l was watching TV and dozed off. I awoke to discover Billie was sitting on the head rest gently pulling my hair! She declined a neck rub and flew back to the cage.

How sweet is that?

You cannot work in an unheated shop! The man who owned the pet shop, only had the heating on for the Macaw who sat in his cage shivering with a calor gas stove in front of him, when l complained the owner said "Move faster!"
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Charming!, we don't have a fan for summer either, it wasn't as bad today, that bitter "leaf picking" wind has dropped,the boss has the door open she says it is more "inviting", yesterday the floor was carpeted with leaves. Billie sounds funny and endearing, Sanjay is cheeky and saucy, but loveable.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie comes for a neck scratch, but she is artful and will turn the situation so she can rub herself on me. She purrs when l rub her neck and head. She has a bit of an itch on her shoulder and she sighed when l rubbed that part.

I bought some Pitachio seeds at first she did not like them but now she does so l will keep them as a reward for good behaviour. Billie sits on her eggs all day and all night but when she comes out she has a big stretch and a nosh, and then onto the pomegranite and some times a quick sip of water, she prefers the water in her seed bowl which is filtered, the water in her bottle is tap water, can they tell the difference?

The winter fuel allowance £200 is on the way but l was talking about the Warm home grant which is £140 off your electicity bill next March. Our pet shop had a shutter and no front door, one winter l wore two sets of long johns and vests, because l wore a trilby people thought l was the boss. Your boss will lose his volunteers if he continues to make you suffer in the cold.

Each of our birds have their own manerisms and we love to bits.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Isabel my manageress is lovely, it is not her, it is the "big boss", and She is never around, but has a nasty habit of turning up. I WAS referring to the 140 pound, I got mine a few Weeks ago, the cut off date is March, the 200 is due by the end of this month. We watched the Cenotaph this morning, as soon as Colonel Bogey started, so did Sanjay, he loves that toon, and sang along all through "Tipperary" too.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I wish Billie was tuneful, she squeals it sort of says Hallo, Goodbye, Turn the sound off all in one but she does purr when l stroke her neck. She flew to the back of chair again when l dozed off for 40 winks l think l was short changed. She does chirp when she want the light off.

I did not know they paid the home front grant so early, oh well it will come when it comes.

Billie scoffed a quarter of pomegranite by lunch time, so l gave her another quarter, she could not believe her luck. She is still happy sitting on her two eggs l read some where that the incubation period is 42 days, l wonder is she knows this? Better still, does she know she is sitting clay eggs?

Some new tail feathers are growing, I'm a bit worried this signals a moult in the wings or all over.

Billie came over and became a pest while l was playing the organ so l ignorred her rubbing herself on me and when she could not attract my attention she flew off! When she flew to the back of my chair this afternoon as soon as she ascertained l was alive she flew back to her cage!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

When I scritch Sanjay, he makes funny little squeaking noises, he is a squeaky toy on legs. Female
dogs moult heavily after giving birth, they look terribly scruffy, we always expected our neighbours to call the RSPCA out!.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I asked Billie what she wants for Christmas, She answered "Just you." But l have a wooden toy and a block of sun flower seed from Wilco l shall wrap up for her. She can enjoy ripping the paper off.

This morning it was still dark when l woke her up, she demanded another 10 minutes. And got it! She has been chomping on the cuttlefish bone, this may mean either another egg or a moult or maybe she just fancied some calcium.

She has been pulling a rope toy to pieces making nesting materiel, l told her you bolting the stable after the horse has bolted.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay likes undoing knots best of all, at Yuletide he will get jelly pots from Santa, and a shred or two of goose. I don't bother asking him what he wants, he always says "surprise me"
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Yay! Sweet chestnuts are back on the birdy menu, nom nom!