Punky , my pet Indian-ring-neck

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Poonam Nandi

Punky , my pet Indian-ring-neck

Post by Poonam Nandi »

Hi!,

Today morning my Parrot died of a seizure. I live in Kolkata , India . In my location , there is hardly any vet and there is no Avian doctor. The vets are also used to dogs and Cows -- they no nothing about birds.
My parrot's name was Punky. She was 7 months old. She was big , fun loving, gentle and extremely naughty and noisome ..She could talk. In the morning when I used to come to her , she would say "good morning". when I would be rushing to go to office , she would say "TATA" that means bye bye.. In the morning I would take her out of the cage and she will fly around. come and sit on my head ..

Yesterday night first seizure happened , it was extremely powerful she cried out as if in mortal fear and thrashed around her cage.When me and my husband sat near the cage touching her , saying loving words, she calmed down . Today morning another two seizures happened. To sooth her I took her in my lap, there after some time another seizure happened, again she cried out then she was gone..

Somebody here posted abt possible reasons of seizures - bad diet . Punky used to have sun flower seeds , mild biscuits , sprouts , fruits. Some times rice and pulse-soup and egg whites . Is anything wrong in these food types?

Can some body please advice whats best diet for Indian ring necks?

Also , if you know of any good vet in my locality or any avian doctor's online forum.. please inform. I have another little guy. His name is Chiku. I am afraid , if some thing happens to him, again , I will be too helpless to help.

Please help ..
MissK

Re: Punky , my pet Indian-ring-neck

Post by MissK »

Hi Poonam Nandi,

I am so sorry for your sad experience and loss of your little Punky. :cry: The diet you describe could be improved with some nice green leaves, foremost, and replace some of those sunflower seeds with a less oily seed. A little bit of nuts are also good, but don't give too much. Egg white should always be cooked, and I assumed you cooked it. You might be able to observe wild Ringnecks and determine what they eat, and feed the same. You can SEARCH this forum for the term "green gram" made by "subodhhire" and you will find a post including some kinds of foods Subodh suggests as well.

I doubt the food caused the seizures. Other birds have lived far longer on much, much worse food. If there is a metal he could have played with, maybe he could be poisoned from one of his toys, possibly. Probably he just had something wrong inside from a very early age, but you may never know. To be safe, review the materials in your other bird's cage and take away any metal that is not stainless steel.

Please try to be at peace with yourself. I have little confidence a vet could have been much help after the seizure started. Others might disagree, but I think it is good you were with Punky at the time. I had a cat who had seizures, and I am convinced he had an easier time when I was there and spoke to him and touched him. Also you know Punky was not alone in death. That would help me, in your place.

I wish you the best.
-MissK