aviary or handtame ringneck???

Moderator: Mods

spiralmad

aviary or handtame ringneck???

Post by spiralmad »

I want to buy a pair of ringnecks and would eventually like to breed them to, but the only breeder I know that has his birds DNA sexed doesn't tame them. They are aviary birds. They're currently 4-5 months old and he has about 20 breeding pairs so they wouldn't be related. How well do you think these birds could be tamed? If I bought them both at the same time and kept them together would that make it more difficult to tame them? And would they be less likely to talk if I had the two together and in the same room as my other birds (budgies) ? He has violets which is why I'm so interested in buying from him.
Or should I just buy a hand reared one from else where and when it comes of breeding age find it a mate from someone re-homing theirs? Would it make it less likely they'd mate if they hadn't lived together all their life?
sanjays mummi

Re: aviary or handtame ringneck???

Post by sanjays mummi »

I have seen IRN's on YouTube which talk even though there is more than one. As for handtaming, if you want a breeding pair, maybe hand taming might not be such a good idea because you want them to prefer each other. Sanjay was aviary bred and parent reared he is not clipped either, and he's a sweet little guy who will "kiss" and preen my hair, but still won't sit on me that's fine, We both have things to do, so while he is independent, and feisty, that suits both of us!, I didn't want a "needy" parrot, because if I'm out all day, I don't want to come home to find my bird sitting on a mound of feathers he's pulled out. The choice is one others cannot make For you you need to weigh up the pros and cons, and decide which is best for you and your lifestyle.
InTheAir

Re: aviary or handtame ringneck???

Post by InTheAir »

I have one aviary raised irn and one hand raised. Both have their good points and their not so good points. The aviary raised girl (Sapphire) is a year old and the hand raised boy (Nila) is 2, we got both when they were 3 mnths old. They are pets, not breeders.

Both are equally handle-able, I spend a fair bit of time training them using positive reinforcement and learning more about how to train them. It has been much harder to teach Sapphire to modify her noises, she still uses ringneck calls a lot. She is seldom talking to me when she calls like that, she mostly uses her words when she talks to me now.
She is really good at playing independently and keeping busy. She is pretty much the ideal pet parrot for me, she does all the things I want and then goes off and does her own thing when I'm busy (mostly).
It took tons of time, patience and understanding to get her that way and she also learns from Nila. I expect a pair that arent used to humans would be much harder to make friends with. Sapphire also came from a breeder who has a lot of reasonably friendly aviary birds, which probably helped her form a favourable opinion of humans.

Nila can play independently, but prefers to glue himself to a shoulder. He was an only bird for a year, so he is more humanised than I'd like.

There is no easy answer, every bird is different. An over-humanised bird is less likely to breed (I have met one of either sex that don't interact with other birds).
I think birds should be allowed to raise their own chicks, but taming aviary raised irns is not for everyone and every bird is different.

Why do you want to breed them? I think it is worth some serious thought. I know that where I live there are always irns of all ages, colours and levels of tameness looking for homes, all year round. Finding truly good homes for every bird may be hard.