My IRN is too stressed

Moderator: Mods

Demir

My IRN is too stressed

Post by Demir »

Hi, i'm just new here.. i would like to ask you advice regarding my IRN.

Bought my IRn from a petshop, the guy from the pet shop told that he was 4 months old.. so he is right now about 5 months but i'm not sure if the guy from the petshop knows the exact age of my irn.

I'm very sad that my parrot is still scarred.. while he is the whole time in the cage on the corner of the living room and nobody is bothering him for almost 2 months? When i just walk to him slowly he jumps immediately and starts to panic :| so i cannot put my hands in the cage or either sit next to the cage? I'm not quite sure what to do.......... when hes alone he tries to escape the whole time from the cage so he goes around like a monkey. The cage is big enough for him, its a parrot training cage.

If you have any advice please share it
sanjays mummi

Re: My IRN is too stressed

Post by sanjays mummi »

Makes me wonder if he was a feral IRN, and not bred in captivity. However, my advice is sit beside the cage in silence, reading a book, or doing something which does not involve sudden movement or noise, and no eye contact, in fact totally ignore him. After a while he should become curious and inch closer to you, but don't acknowledge this until he is completely secure and confident, then you can talk quietly to him and gradually introduce treats through the bars. You're right about the vendor, he couldn't possibly know when your bird hatched, only a breeder of the bird would know. It will take time and patience, good luck.
Demir

Post by Demir »

sanjays mummi wrote:Makes me wonder if he was a feral IRN, and not bred in captivity. However, my advice is sit beside the cage in silence, reading a book, or doing something which does not involve sudden movement or noise, and no eye contact, in fact totally ignore him. After a while he should become curious and inch closer to you, but don't acknowledge this until he is completely secure and confident, then you can talk quietly to him and gradually introduce treats through the bars. You're right about the vendor, he couldn't possibly know when your bird hatched, only a breeder of the bird would know. It will take time and patience, good luck.

Thank you for your advice, well the feathers where damaged the tail too so maybe it might be a feral but im not sure. I think that i need to wait a very long time....
MissK

Post by MissK »

Search this site for taming information. Depending on where you live, sure, your bird could be feral or stolen from the wild. He could also be aviary raised and need taming. He could also be human raised but afraid of something in the environment you have created for him.

What is a "parrot training cage" and exactly how big is this? Have you located it against a wall and out of a traffic area in the house? When the parrot sits on the perch, is he at least as high as your shoulder?

There are many things that can help a bird relax in the home, and likewise many causes of stress that can be avoided. You must examine all of the situation and be a detective. I'm not going to be able to consider all the details with you, but if you present all the information, likely someone here will be able to guide you.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay was aviary bred and parent reared, and eight Weeks old, but he wasn't stressed, he just sat on his perch quietly and only panicked a bit when I put my hand in to do necessaries. After a few days he started sitting on the perch nearest to me and I began talking and singing nursery rhymes. It may not take as long as you fear.
MissK

Post by MissK »

You didn't sing the one about the blackbirds in a pie, did you????? :o
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I sang Baa Baa Black Sheep, then I found out it is deemed racist!
mizzrai

Post by mizzrai »

Ditto.
I have the same problem with my IRN. Was told that he's 6- 7 months old.
If I go near cage, he goes around like a monkey and as faraway as possible.

Won't take food from my finger through cage bar.
Doesn't talk one bit yet, not even whistle or anything.
Demir

Post by Demir »

@MissK I dont know the exact size of the cage i can post some pictures later today. They call it here a parrot training cage because it has 2 doors 1 small and 1 big for letting him out without problems i guess?

The cage is in the corner of the living room and the perch is ok, higher then my shoulder.

With the time we can understand what he likes and what not, for example he s chill when theres only 1 person in the living room sitting with a distance to the cage.