17-yr-old Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde - help!

Moderator: Mods

Knitta

17-yr-old Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde - help!

Post by Knitta »

Hi there -

I've had my Kali for 17 years, since she was a baby. She's had her cranky moments now and again, but usually she's my cuddly sweet pea. But during the last two weeks she's been molting, and her behavior has completely changed. She's WAY more aggressive and antisocial than she's ever been. She bites me any time I try to pick her up, and sometimes even if I just stand by her cage and talk to her she starts to display aggressive behavior (eye pins, feathers blow up, lunging). If I open up her cage to hang out, she'd stay there and not come visit (definitely unusual).

I've tried to take it as a hint and just leave her alone, but I DO need to pick her up now and again (she has a "sleep cage" that's away from the TV, lights, etc), and being bitten is naturally making me scared to put my hand in her cage, so I flinch and wimp out. (Bad, I know.) I followed some advice I read online and have been using an oven glove to pick her up. That works, but now she LEAPS and attacks the glove when I have it on. Hooray.

Over the last couple days, she's letting me approach her more, is acting more social, and is giving me sweetface, but I still can't pick her up/pet her or she turns into a demon bird again. I'm worried that this behavior will be forever!! Is this a molting thing? An aging thing? Do I just stay the course and wait it out? How do I be brave and still try to pick her up? Please help!! I want my sweet pea back!
InTheAir

Re: 17-yr-old Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde - help!

Post by InTheAir »

Menopause? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no idea what would have started a change like that, but luckily you should be able to change the way you guys are interacting.

First up, it sounds like the gloves are making things worse not better. Save them for baking (I like brownies *hint hint*).
Can your bird climb out of the cage by herself? How about you open the door and let her come out in her own time? You can give her a treat when she comes out.

Instead of standing by the cage while she tries to warn you off, you could approach the cage, drop a nice tidbit in her dish and walk off.
My boyfriend and my young hen have recently been behaving the way you described when he uncovers the cage in the morning, he didn't tell me it was happening and was standing there waiting for her to stop, which seemed to be winding her up further. We changed his approach to uncovering her cage by offering her a treat when he first opens the cage cover (actually we had to start with me opening the cage cover, giving her a treat and him offering a second treat), then he rolls the cover back a little and then gives her another treat etc. After a few days she was eagerly leaning towards him showing no signs of aggression as he uncovers her cage. We elected to use my hand to offer her treats at first, rather than the dish as it was just quicker and she wasn't displaying any discomfort when I approached her cage.

If you are nervous about using your hand to step her up to move her outside the cage (which is understandable), you can teach her to climb aboard a handheld perch. It is really important to keep stepping onto the perch a willing deal where she comes over and climbs on for a reward. It should never be pressed against her tummy to try to force her to step up, or it will go the way of the oven mitt.
To start teaching her to use the new perch, try resting one end on the perch she is on, but not close enough to unsettle her and lure or target her over to the handheld perch. When she shows she is comfortable stepping onto the handheld perch, phase out the lure by using a cue to step onto it and give her the reward. Seeing as she is not happy sharing her cage space at the moment, this training will probably work better on her play gym.
You haven't mentioned if she is still happily taking treats from you when she is out of her cage?

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Claire
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I wonder if it hurts to be touched? Maybe a check up by your vet, if this continues, the moult may be just coincidental?.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

sanjays mummi wrote:I wonder if it hurts to be touched? Maybe a check up by your vet, if this continues, the moult may be just coincidental?.
That's a really good idea! I didn't think of that.
MissK

Post by MissK »

First, 17 years - WOW.

Second, in all time she never did this before, definitely time to involve the vet.

I'm very excited to hear from you, as you've been living with your IRN all that time. PLEASE keep up with the forum you are a fantastic resourse just as you stand with all that experience.
-MissK
Knitta

Post by Knitta »

Bird menopause! Ha! I love it!

@InTheAir - yeah, I think you're right about the oven glove, so I've stopped that. I'm going to give the perch thing a try. And yes, she'll still take treats from me.

She now sometimes greets me at her cage, will climb to the top and let me pet her beak and feet, and sometimes give me a tiny smooch through the bars of the cage (believe me, I keep just enough of a distance that it's just the top of the beak, lest she bites). She chirps happily, but it's pretty random that she'll do this, and I still can't get her to do anything more than that. Baby steps? Sigh.

@sanjays mummi - I haven't considered whether she's in pain. Other than the behavior change, she still scuttles around fine and tries to fly (but poorly, since she's moulting). Maybe I'll try to burrito her with a towel and take a closer look.

@MissK - Is 17 years remarkable? I thought IRNs lived to 20-25? I'm new to any forums, so I don't know what's considered the norm in regards to age. :wink:

Thank you all for your help!!
Knitta

Post by Knitta »

Oh! I thought of something else, in addition to molting, the only other big change in our household is that three weeks ago I went from working at home FT to working at an office again. Perhaps a change in her routine?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Many people here have lived with their IRN less time than you. I meant that you have 17 years of experience keeping the IRN so you must know a thing or two. We do have long time IRN keepers here, but they are in general not our most vocal members.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Knitta wrote:Oh! I thought of something else, in addition to molting, the only other big change in our household is that three weeks ago I went from working at home FT to working at an office again. Perhaps a change in her routine?
That could do it. I second the idea of a vet check, just to be sure, and then probably just letting her do what she wants to do. If she's mad, she will get over it and decide to spend time with you again on her own schedule lol. Most days Hane can't wait to get out of the cage, and other times he'll go a solid week staying on/in it and not wanting much contact. He does always come around and want to hang out- almost an overnight change!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay