IRN Beak Color

Moderator: Mods

narte44

IRN Beak Color

Post by narte44 »

Hello guys, I purchased a three month old Indian Ringneck in June, his or her beak was not red. I thought this was due to him just being young. But a month passed and has beak is not red? Is there something wrong with my parakeet?

I will attach photos.

link if attachment did not work: http://imgur.com/a/Nmv1k

sanjays mummi

Re: IRN Beak Color

Post by sanjays mummi »

The beak Is red , but not a very vibrant red, is this because of his/her feather colouring?, someone on here might know.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Young irns have paler beaks. http://home.online.nl/psittaculaworld/S ... rameri.htm
At that age a pale beak is fairly normal, I can't find any references to what age it really starts to brighten up... I'm sure mine did at around 6 months old or so. I was worried about our second bird because it seemed to take an eternity for her beak to get bright. I thought her diet must be lacking something.

Diet, health etc can effect beak color too. Again anecdotal, a friend of mine switched around the diet of her mature birds and their beaks became a more vibrant red over the course of a couple months or so.
narte44

Post by narte44 »

Thank you guys so much, I was worried. :P I give him seeds, fruits, and veggies.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Most avian vets recommend feeding a high quality pellet, rather than a lot of seed. Bird seed is pretty high in fat and low in nutrients, it is a good treat though.
narte44

Post by narte44 »

R.I.P Toby, I'll always love you and you'll always be in my heart.
Melika

Post by Melika »

I'm sorry for your loss.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay