Relocating Nesting IRN's

Moderator: Mods

redgypsy

Relocating Nesting IRN's

Post by redgypsy »

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I am in need of some advice/suggestions.

I have an aviary breeding pair of IRNs who are currently sitting on eggs (laid just this last week)

I'm in a situation with short notice and poor timing, where I have to move houses in 2 weeks, and change their cage to something smaller (temporarily).
I have tried to read up on the best way to do this, but I'd like some direct advice, perhaps some of you may have been in a similar situation...

I understand that if I transport the eggs separately to the parents, it's possible that they can abandon the eggs.
However, I am concerned that if I close mum up in the nest box with the eggs for a 20min car trip, she may trample the eggs.

I also read somewhere that the eggs only need constant incubation for the first 1-2 weeks.. and after that period it shouldn't stop any developments of the egg.
I'm not sure how I feel about that idea.. however the time of the move will be around 5 days before the first hatching is due, so it may be plausible?

I have no idea what the best way to approach this is, but at the moment I am more inclined to transport mum with the eggs in her nestbox (just tape it up, and gently move it).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks! :)
Melika

Re: Relocating Nesting IRN's

Post by Melika »

The best place for this post would be in the breeding section ( http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1 ). Perhaps a mod will move your post over?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay