understanding genetics - where do I start?

Moderator: Mods

SilverSage

understanding genetics - where do I start?

Post by SilverSage »

I am looking for a place to start. Last time I took a Bio class I was 14, and my big ambition in life was to get married and have 10 kids, for which I did not think I needed to understand punnett squares. I never took a science class in college, either. Now I am doing my best to understand the genetics of my birds, but I find that most of the discussions online are jumping into the middle of something everyone else already understands - does anyone have a good suggestion of a web site or book that begins with basic concepts of IRN mutations, how they each work, etc? I really want to understand, but I just can't seem to find a "beginning" or "basic" place to start.
Indian Ringneck Vic

Re: understanding genetics - where do I start?

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

SilverSage the reference book you require is Ringneck Colour Genetics (2012) by Deon Smith contact GM SMITH RCG <gms71@live.co.za Deon is in South Africa though supplies his book to a world wide hobby it's informative and up to date written by a IRN hobbiest with an academic background.
SilverSage

Post by SilverSage »

Thank you so much! I find in this day and age we think "everything" can be learned on the internet, but really, sometimes you just need a book :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

SilverSage,

You can start with this website
http://psittacula-world.com/EN/Mutations/P-krameri.htm

Deon's book mentioned above can be purchased here (in Australia)
http://www.mcw-indianringnecks.com.au/book-shop
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know