ok to leave my ringneck out of his cage 24/7 and help!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

nabz khan

ok to leave my ringneck out of his cage 24/7 and help!!

Post by nabz khan »

I got my first ever baby ringneck around 4 week ago he is 4 month and 2 days old i was told hes not tame now and Wen i got him i was told by the breeder to leave his cage open 24/7 to make him comfortable so i did now since i have had him he likes to sit on top of his cage and does not go in unless he wants to eat is it ok to leave him out always and let him choose when to go in or out or will that become a bad habit his wings are clipped so he does not fly also he is eating from my hand when i put my shoulder forward he climbs up once i was sat on floor he jumped off his cage and climed on my leg up on to my shouder but he wont climb on my hand or respond ro step up he lets me pet him sometimes but bites alot at times he will let me pet him then he wont he has mood swings i think lol but he tends to bite alot is he getting tame if hes eating from my hand i know i need to take it slow but i dint want to get him in nay bad habit as i want him around me and my family forever and make him a part of us so we can play amd have good time with him
Melika

Re: ok to leave my ringneck out of his cage 24/7 and help!!

Post by Melika »

So things are different for different people and situations. Are you home with him 24/7?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
nabz khan

Post by nabz khan »

No not my self but there is someone home 90% of the time i tend to leave him out night an day he stays on his cage most of the time i wanted to know by doing this it wont make my bird think its in charge i dont want to put him the cage always coz its not nice i want him to get used to being around us in the house but dont want to get him in any bad habit
Melika

Post by Melika »

It is good for a bird to accept being caged- what if there is an emergency or you have to stay somewhere else temporarily where he needs to be caged? So for me, I always have caged time for my birds.

But no, it shouldn't make him feel more powerful by simply being out of his cage. When I am home, typically Hane's cage is open and he's free to move around but some days I leave it closed.

The biggest danger with a bird being outside the cage all the time is him getting into things/eating things he shouldn't. If he's supervised and everyone knows what is and is not allowed, it might be okay. Just make sure everyone is educated and paying attention.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
nabz khan

Post by nabz khan »

Thanks from what you are saying its changed how i was thinking so keeping him in the cage sometimes is good for him i didmt think of it that way also my irn bites alot is this coz hes still young and new to my home and how long does it take to get to step up ? Its first time i have got a bird always wanted one wen i was young even tho hes not fukly tame i love watching him and talking to him :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

nabz khan wrote:Thanks from what you are saying its changed how i was thinking so keeping him in the cage sometimes is good for him i didmt think of it that way also my irn bites alot is this coz hes still young and new to my home and how long does it take to get to step up ? Its first time i have got a bird always wanted one wen i was young even tho hes not fukly tame i love watching him and talking to him :)
For biting issues, I would start here and browse more in the Behavior forums. :) I don't have much advice with biting as I never really had an issue. You can learn much from what others have done- and learn what not to do through their mistakes.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

My guys are out of the cage all day, but my wife is here with them. At night, they go into the cage by themselves. By about 7:30-8:00 they are both sound asleep in the cage and stay there all night, but I do close and latch the door when we go to bed only because it got up one morning and couldn't find them. I was in a major panic!! I found them upstairs in the dining room happily playing with my wife's collection of wind chimes. I was happy to find them, but Debbie was NOT happy with their choice of toys. (A lot of the wind chimes are antiques) From then on, they are caged at night and when no one is home. Be advised that these birds can be destructive. They will play with and chew on just about anything! Our family room furniture, wood trim, and a lot of other stuff will attest to that. A friend of ours says you can always tell if people have I R N's by looking at their stuff in the bird room! Good luck with your new family member, and remember the pleasure that these birds will bring to you and yours greatly outweighs a little bit of chewed up things!
Mike
Melika

Post by Melika »

Achilles&Percy wrote:My guys are out of the cage all day, but my wife is here with them. At night, they go into the cage by themselves. By about 7:30-8:00 they are both sound asleep in the cage and stay there all night, but I do close and latch the door when we go to bed only because it got up one morning and couldn't find them. I was in a major panic!! I found them upstairs in the dining room happily playing with my wife's collection of wind chimes. I was happy to find them, but Debbie was NOT happy with their choice of toys. (A lot of the wind chimes are antiques) From then on, they are caged at night and when no one is home. Be advised that these birds can be destructive. They will play with and chew on just about anything! Our family room furniture, wood trim, and a lot of other stuff will attest to that. A friend of ours says you can always tell if people have I R N's by looking at their stuff in the bird room! Good luck with your new family member, and remember the pleasure that these birds will bring to you and yours greatly outweighs a little bit of chewed up things!
My books are sacred, lol. I am NOT happy if I find Hane trying to eat a book! XD I had a cockatiel eat my homework once...