Bedtime for Carl

Moderator: Mods

Hedgehog

Bedtime for Carl

Post by Hedgehog »

Hello I'm new here and have said hello in the introduction forum.

I'm a mid 50 year old male, fairly new to having birds. As mentioned in my intro. We (my 23 year old daughter and I) have three birds now, each different and delightful in their way. Two of them are Conures, a gentle little 9+ month old Green Cheek, a smart semi flier. A male DNA tested male Jendey Conure, a ball of energy, sassy, smart tough as nails and he loves us completely. The bird is clipped, overly clipped and falls like a rock, I can't wait until he can fly at least a little bit, he will jump out of his cage, bounce right up and run over to us to play. Sometimes he plays with the cats. These birds are my daughters and I wanted a slightly bigger one to call my own. So, after some thought I got a 5 month old hand raised IRN. I trust the people I got him from due to their work with their Conures.

The IRN, Carl (gender unknown, Carl, Carli?) has been with us a little over a week and is calming down nicely. He eats, (I never see him drink is that normal?), moves around inside and outside of his cage and is beginning to make some little sounds.

Maybe you can help me with this. The Conures have sleeping muffs and they use them to sleep in or to relax in. At this time I don't have a sleeping muff for Carl, do IRNs like one of these to sleep in, should I get something else or do they prefer to sleep on a perch?
Wessel Gordon

Re: Bedtime for Carl

Post by Wessel Gordon »

From what I have observed with my flock of 5 IRN's it seems to me like they prefer to perch as high as possible to sleep. I have them in two different cages and they all have a "sleeping corner". I've never seen one of them sleep in the middle of the cage...they all climb into their chosen corners literally at the very highest the bars of the cages allow.

Although the one female has a nestbox available in her cage she never sleep in it. She goes in there during the day when it's cold or to go do whatever it is female IRN's do in private.