MY BIPOLAR RINGNECK!!

Moderator: Mods

Guanchy

MY BIPOLAR RINGNECK!!

Post by Guanchy »

Little Leo is turning bipolar i swear lol. One minute he loves me the next minute he hates me and attack me. I put him in my shoulder and he is completely fine, he gives me kisses etc… as soon as i try to take him down to put him in the cage his eyes get really small and he gets furious!! starts to bit my hands!!

Also he doesn't let any of the girls in my house touch him! its so weird. only let me and my brother touch him! When he hears my mom's voice he goes crazy!! which sucks because originally we got the bird for my mom as a gift and now she can't even get close to his cage.

what can i do??? he is only 4 months old! someone told me this is a normal behavior all IRN go through this but its been a while now and nothing! we got him when he was about 1 month old and he has been fine up until about 1 and a half ago.
sanjays mummi

Re: MY BIPOLAR RINGNECK!!

Post by sanjays mummi »

The fickleness is part of All parrot species character,but he needs to bond with your mum as well. Maybe you and your brother should let your mum do things, like offer treats through the bars, and as your bird begins to accept them she could slowly start to do more for him. It may involve you and your brother backing off completely for a while until your bird is accepting of All family members.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi there,

I just spent ages writing, what I consider, a helpful and infomative post on my phone, which just crashed and lost the whole thing!

Your ringneck is not bipolar, he is just a misunderstood youth :wink:

I agree with San jays mummy's suggestion of getting your family to be the bearers of good things.

Parrots really aren't the easiest pets. They are pretty complex and they are very fast learners!
I really recommend you read this article http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/arti ... 202004.pdf
It will give you a good introduction to how to analyze behaviour.

Not wanting to go to the cage is a fairly common thing, a lot of us have experienced at one time or another. Why would a parrot want to leave a nice comfortable shoulder to go hang out in a cage alone? What is in it for the parrot? What happens when the parrot gets into the cage?
I used a combination of things to convince my parrots that they want to go to their cages when I ask. They are rewarded for going into the cage, when they are in there they find foraging toys to entertain them, they get attention when they are in their cages, quite often I put them in their cages to give them a treat and leave the doors open so they can fly out when they like, other times I leave the door closed for a short time and then leave it open. My guys are going in and out of their cages a lot every day, so they get lots of practise!
That is what has worked for me. Another thing that helped with Sapphire was buying her the absolutely biggest cage I could find. She seems very happy with it. We are going to buy Nila a matching one soon, because it makes his big cage look small!

I hope this post is helpful to you.

Regards,
Claire
Guanchy

Post by Guanchy »

Thanks guys i appreciate this a lot!