Help about age and sex

Moderator: Mods

Highvoltage

Help about age and sex

Post by Highvoltage »

Hi friends i have 2 lutino indian ringneck and i m not sure about their age and sex. Seller said me they are 9 months but they are looking like adult or for i see first time ringnecks i dont know pls help about it and their leg bands SK 14 2 562 and SK 14 1 103 what is mean i dont know.

InTheAir

Re: Help about age and sex

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I'm not sure how to read leg bands, sorry.

I would suggest that you get them a much bigger cage, if the one pictured is what they are living in. That will give you more room to put some good quality natural wood perches and toys.

Regards,
Claire
Highvoltage

Post by Highvoltage »

i bought them 3-4 days ago . You can be sure i will buy for them best one cage. But cant say anything about their age and sex ? Extra info their leg band colours silver and black
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. From time to time people want to get information from the bird's leg band. Sometimes this is possible and other times it is not. The breeder uses the information to identify the bird for his own records and if the bird is sold to a reseller they probably use it for identification as well.

Sorry your birds' bands do not give you what you wanted to know.

Regarding sex, it is not possible to visually identify the sex until adult plumage comes in beginning around the age of 18 month on average. I'm surprised your research prior to buying these birds did not reveal this information.

Additionally, I agree this cage is quite small. Some people have found it helpful to discuss the cage they intend to buy before purchase for the opinion of those who might already be using a particular model.

Please check out this thread on using the SEARCH function. It may help you.http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17649
-MissK
Highvoltage

Post by Highvoltage »

They are 40 centimeters and breeder told me they are 9 months old male and female on bracelet 14 mean 2014 but he said they born at october 2013. i wanted to be sure about it because wikipedia saying adult ringnecks being 40 centimeters. is it normal to be 9 months old 40 centimeters ?
Melika

Post by Melika »

Legbands have whatever combination of letters and numbers the breeder wanted to use to help him or her keep track of the flock- the numbers and/or letters are not usually of any significance to anyone but the breeder.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Zebra

Post by Zebra »

I'm not sure, but it looks to me like SK is Slovak Rep.? , 14 should be the year, they were born. My ringnecks have also number 7 - which is the size of ring and the rest is for the identification I guess
I saw on a web selling leg bands - they have certain colors each year to tell the age, but I don't think all breeders keep that rule....