Notice about breeding IRN's in South Africa?

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

Notice about breeding IRN's in South Africa?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

I've learned in a reply to one of my other posts that there are some kind of notice against breeding IRN's in South Africa. Could someone please send me a link to this as I just moved one of my pairs into an outside aviary for breeding?

Wessel
McmillanBirds

Re: Notice about breeding IRN's in South Africa?

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

You will find all the info under this topic:

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 26&t=18849

So far as I know the legislation has not been passed as yet, and the proposed ban has been taken from a 'no breeding under any circumstances' to 'you can breed but will need a permit'.

I am still waiting to find out the outcome, along with many many other breeders in SA. Until the time the legislation is passed, I will continue to breed, and when the time comes, if I need to get a permit, then so be it, I will take the necessary steps in that direction too.

Hope that helps

Carmen
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks Carmen

It does seem that a "wait and see" attitude is the best option so far. Personally I can't see how an effective and successful permit system could be implemented.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Carmen, Wessel,

the last I heard was that you will need a certificate issued by a club that has inspected your aviaries to ensure that you have double doors to prevent birds from escaping accidentally. It didn't sound like they would be going for the permit route, which would require someone from nature conservation to come and do the inspection. So things are almost back to normal. I'm very happy with the double door requirement, as I do also think that we as breeders should be responsible in our doings and ensure birds don't escape. No matter how good our intension, sometimes birds can get out. If it wasn't for the fact that all my flights are enclosed in one massive aviary (mostly to prevent hawk, eagle and cat attacks), I would personally have already contributed to the feral community.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Johan,

So the best solution for hobbyists like me is to join a club but considering I'm in the middle of nowhere and everywhere finding a club might be tricky.

Wessel