How long does IRN's take to settle in a new cage/aviary?

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

How long does IRN's take to settle in a new cage/aviary?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

I have a pair of gray IRN's that I recently moved from their cramped cage into an outside aviary that I fixed up for them with the help of a neighbor.

My question is: how long will it take them to settle down and start breeding? I'm in South Africa and our breeding season is about to start.

In their previous cage the female already displayed nesting behavior like "scavenging" every conceivable and illogical piece of scrap that she could use to line a nest she didn't even have. In the aviary I have 3 nests with nesting material already in them in 3 different locations so she can pick which one she prefers. I'm assuming the stress of moving "house" will take a while to subside.

Should I let them settle and only expect chicks in the next breeding season?

Kind regards,

Wessel Gordon
Jayjess2013

Re: How long does IRN's take to settle in a new cage/aviary?

Post by Jayjess2013 »

if they are bonded and if they are in breeding condition, they should start breeding within the first 12 months of you having them.
there is a warning about breeding ringnecks in SA at the moment so have a read of that and be careful
Jay, jess and 4 mischevious Budgerigars

Wessel Gordon

Re: How long does IRN's take to settle in a new cage/aviary?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

hi Jayjess

I have had them in the same cage for a few months so if they aren't bonded they are at least not trying to kill each other.

I've read about the warning but I'm not sure what it is about. Is there a link I can read more?

Wessel