New IRN, Few Questions!

Moderator: Mods

AngRN519

New IRN, Few Questions!

Post by AngRN519 »

Hi everyone I need some advice as a new IRN owner I feel I need some help with my new little guy :). He's about 12 weeks old, on one feeding a day and very friendly! My questions are this: he cries whenever I go near his cage and hold him. His cries soften when I hold him but sometimes not! According to the girl I bought him from, he's eating Exact baby formula once a day but I haven't seen him eat too much of anything else she gave me. So I have fed him extra and he will only take a few bites at feeding. He bobs his head when I am holding him....someone told me that could be a sign he's not ready to wean? I hear many conflicting things and just want the best for Niko! Also, is it safe then to introduce other soft warm foods such as sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes? Does he just want to be held? But then why all the cries? Sorry for a kind of scattered post I just worry! Thanks for any information! I tried to post pictures but they won't load :(
Donovan

Re: New IRN, Few Questions!

Post by Donovan »

If you don't get any replies to this in a day or two, repost it in the Breeders section of the forum and maybe add something to the subject line to attract their attention
AngRN519

Post by AngRN519 »

Ok will do! Thanks, this is my first day on this site :) Trying to figure out how to navigate around!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

There is a sticky on hand feeding and weaning on this forum by Melika. You may find it helpful.
I am a huge fan of having a new bird health checked by an Avian Vet anyway. Not just for diseases, but a good avian vet has a lot of knowledge of behaviour and diet advice and can set you on the right path from the beginning. My boyfriend and I have learnt heaps from our vet, even on subjects like training the birds.

Regards,
Claire
AngRN519

Post by AngRN519 »

Thanks Claire. I did make an appt with an aviary vet tomorrow afternoon and this evening I was able to track down the original breeder, out of coincidence she happeneds to be someone I spoke to months ago, and she will be coming by as well tomorrow to see him. I feel so much better and in the meantime she had me start him on fruit pellets...boy did he eat!! And then sleep :) I can rest happy and much easier tonight!!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's great! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Give that breeder a big thanks - not everyone checks up on their babies like that.
-MissK