Cage

Moderator: Mods

Princess Yuz

Cage

Post by Princess Yuz »

Hi, I think my cage for my Indian ringneck is far too big for him. I live in England so can anyone post any good websites where I can buy him a decent sized cage for less than £100.00
ellieelectrons

Re: Cage

Post by ellieelectrons »

Why do you think it's too big?

Unless your bird is disabled or sick, I don't think you can get a cage too big for a bird considering the amount of space they use in the wild.

Ellie.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

ellieelectrons wrote:Why do you think it's too big?

Unless your bird is disabled or sick, I don't think you can get a cage too big for a bird considering the amount of space they use in the wild.

Ellie.
I'm not really sure but he doesn't use all the cage he only likes to sit on the highest perch he never goes to the bottom and plus I think he would prefer a smaller cage. I think he would feel more secure in a smaller cage. He is out of the cage all day it's just that ne sleeps there at night
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Do you have a picture you can post? Might help to have a visual :)
~Dana

Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

SunniDai wrote:Do you have a picture you can post? Might help to have a visual :)
Yh sure I will take a picture and post it
MissK

Post by MissK »

Don't forget to measure too.
-MissK
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

There is no such thing as a cage that is too big.. don't ever forget that or attempt to think differently.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I don't think a cage can be too big, seriously, I just bought this for my girl http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=19888 I don't think it is too big.

Have you taught your bird that the cage is a nice, fun, safe place to play? What can you do to make his time in the cage more pleasant?
Are you always home, so he spends literally every waking hour out of his cage?
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:I don't think a cage can be too big, seriously, I just bought this for my girl http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =3&t=19888 I don't think it is too big.

Have you taught your bird that the cage is a nice, fun, safe place to play? What can you do to make his time in the cage more pleasant?
Are you always home, so he spends literally every waking hour out of his cage?
From all the comments I have received I might just leave the cage. I wake up quite late :| about one in the afternoon so it's about two o clock when I take him out , he stays on his perch which has food and water and it is in the living room. I put him back in his cage at about 7:30 in the evening. His bedtime is at 8:30. Lol I'm really weird like that I have a bedtime with him I close the curtains and put a blanket over cuz he knows when the blanket comes on its bedtime and I switch of the light. So he is really only in there to sleep. I'm not really sure but because of the comments I might just leave his current cage
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

There are things you can do to make parts of the cage more enticing. I have a coop cup that attaches to the side of the cage. I fill it with foot toys (chunks of wood, etc.) and put it near the bottom of the cage. Most days they will go down there and pull them out. Sometimes they'll chew them up, other times they'll just throw them on the floor. How old is your bird?

Ellie.
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

ellieelectrons wrote:There are things you can do to make parts of the cage more enticing. I have a coop cup that attaches to the side of the cage. I fill it with foot toys (chunks of wood, etc.) and put it near the bottom of the cage. Most days they will go down there and pull them out. Sometimes they'll chew them up, other times they'll just throw them on the floor. How old is your bird?

Ellie.
My bird is three months he is scared of all toys and doesn't take top any treats from ur hand but he is super tame
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Did I read this right:
your bird is covered from 8:30 pm until 1pm?
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:Did I read this right:
No lol I'm not the only one who cares for him in my family my brother opens the curtains and takes the blankets of and give him fresh food and water at about 9-10 o clock
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Princess Yuz wrote:
No lol I'm not the only one who cares for him in my family my brother opens the curtains and takes the blankets of and give him fresh food and water at about 9-10 o clock
Thank heavens for that! But your bird is spending a lot of time in his cage and it is your responsibility to make that time pleasurable for him.
I've got to go to work, but there are a few things you should be able to find on here.
*Foraging
*introducing new toys
*teaching independent play
Princess Yuz

Post by Princess Yuz »

InTheAir wrote:
Princess Yuz wrote:
Thank heavens for that! But your bird is spending a lot of time in his cage and it is your responsibility to make that time pleasurable for him.
I've got to go to work, but there are a few things you should be able to find on here.
*Foraging
*introducing new toys
*teaching independent play
I really try my best but he is scared of all toys that I give him and I'm trying really hard to just keep giving him different toys I think I have spend more than hundred pounds on toys but he just isn't playful with toys he likes to interact.t with humans more.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Princess,

As someone who sleeps a bit late, myself, I'd like to toss in some thoughts and observations about my crew:
Although I may get up at 6 am, 8 am, 9, 10, or 11 am, or even 1, 2, or 3 pm, my birds still know when the sun comes up. They're not covered, but even if they were, that big, bright ball in the sky is just too obvious for them to miss. If I keep them up late (naughty me) and then wake early, myself, I might find them less than energetic till late. If I let them sleep with the sun, however, they get up with the sun as well. They might be quiet, they might make noise. They certainly eat the previous day's leftovers.

I'd be willing to bet your bird wakes with the sun as well.
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Here is our setup:

We HAVE cages; whether they choose to be IN them during the day, well, that's up for debate :)

And the outdoor aviary is connected directly to the front room window.

So as you can see, I am firm believer in "you cannot have a cage TOO big" as well ;)
~Dana

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I'm sure there are heaps of posts on these topics already, but the gist of it is:
quite a few parrots are very scared of new objects, even Nila was scared of new toys when we got him. Toys must be introduced in a non threatening, careful manner. First by leaving the new object in sight but not close enough to the cage so that the bird is reacting to it. The next day you should be able to move the toy closer etc.
If your bird is very human orientated, you can play with the toy while the bird is watching, that can pique their interest in it.
You can also train your bird to approach novel objects using positive reinforcement.
I have used all 3 methods and Nila now flies over to help me unwrap any new toy I bring home.

Search "foraging" on this forum. Ellie has written a really great post on the topic with links.