Will this be the right bird for me?

Moderator: Mods

Hydrophobic333

Will this be the right bird for me?

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

I hope it's alright to make a new topic about this, but I figured it would be best as I need to explain my situation in hopes of getting a more accurate answer. (:

I am 20 years old, going on 21, and I have LOVED birds for a very long time. We started with a tiny budgie, then graduated up to a cockatiel then moved onto another cockatiel that I had as my own, who unfortunately passed away tonight. I had long since been looking into IRNs before the unfortunate passing of my beloved Tiel and I love pretty much everything about them, but of course I have some questions/possible concerns.

I was looking into the Indian Ringneck's you typically see if you were to do a google search, and I was also looking into the Alexandrines as well as the Plum headed parakeet as well. I plan on meeting the birds, of course, to see who I match well with (and who might pick me) but I'd like to learn a bit more about personality. There's only so much you can get off the internet, compared to the extensive knowledge of actual owners of this beautiful species.

I have heard mixed opinions on their personality. I have seen people say that they can be incredibly sweet and affectionate, and then others who say they are hard to tame and just not great birds to have for interaction purposes.

I really would love the affection but in all honesty, I don't need it 100%. I have worked with the smaller birds, and am ready to move up to something larger and a bit harder to work with, as I would like to spend time with them and train them as well as build an even stronger bond than I had with my cockatiel.

I will be going to college this fall, but I suffer from a heart condition that means I will actually be at home more than the typical college student and I will always be there to take out my bird.

We originally got me my first two birds for theraputic reasons, as I suffer from social anxiety and depression so having that constant companion and something to work with and take care of makes me feel amazing.

I definitely have the dedication to give to something difficult, but I still do want something that will give me the feelings that I need from a companion. I've seen videos on youtube of amazing IRNs with their owners and it's exactly the kind of bond that I want. I also very much admire the beauty of them as well as their intelligence levels.

All of this being said, what would be your recommendations or anything that you feel I should know about this? As well as what you think might be a good fit for myself and my situation?

Thank you very much! (:
MissK

Re: Will this be the right bird for me?

Post by MissK »

I cannot tell you if this species is for you, but I can tell you that it can be difficult, discouraging, and depressing for anyone to try to train a bird who is not tame enough or who has reached a plateau in training and won't seem to move past it. There are several issues people run up against and complain about here which are hard for them to overcome. Some of these are unwillingness to trust the hand, making a lot of noise, being scared of people approaching, not eating the foods selected for them, overall destructiveness.

For these reasons I caution you, if you decide to get a Ringneck, or any Psittacula species, to bring home a bird who already exhibits the level of tameness and behaviour you find acceptable. You must understand that the bird you bring home is the bird you get, and you cannot rely on it changing. Every bird has potential but not every bird reaches that potential. You must also understand that babies of many species exhibit friendly and complaint behaviour that does not last into adulthood. This does not mean that a baby will change as it grows up, but that is the way to bet. Visit the bird you are interested in before you buy it, and spend enough time and enough visits to form an accurate picture of what the bird is like. You will be "married" to your bird for years, so choose carefully.

Lastly, I caution you, with your health issues and new challenges at school, to make an accurate assessment of how much time and effort you can realistically offer your bird. Beginning college is a big adjustment for most people. I personally feel it would be best for you to get a few months of college under your belt before bringing home any new pet.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Sorry for your loss :( I'm a newbie so I can't help you so much. But it's very important to choose right bird species. Sometimes, I challange this problem. You must think very carefully.
Hydrophobic333

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

Thank you for all of your information! I did actually know all of those things, but it was good to hear them again to remind me. (: And I've already been to college, I'm just going back so it's really not a very big adjustment. (: I'll be home often and able to be with them often as well as work with them a lot too (which is what I did with my cockatiel), which is why I was feeling comfortable about getting one.

I will definitely keep all of that in mind when I start looking again, thank you so much. I really appreciate it! (:

And thank you, GeveZe, I really appreciate it. He was an amazing little guy. I worked so hard with him, it was very sad to lose him. ): And yes! I've been looking, so I'm hoping to find the right bird species. I've been researching many, and I'm asking as many questions as I can and any that I come across. (:

Thank you both again!
Niffarious

Post by Niffarious »

My opinions, for what they are worth (and I am no expert) :) :

The first thing I did when I moved out for university was get a bird. I'd always wanted one, but we kept bird dogs so this was an impossibility. As a college student, I wasn't away from home any longer than I am now working full time.
Lots of college students are out constantly, irresponsible, or are generally living a lifestyle not suited to having a bird. If you aren't one of them, you should be fine.Those long periods of time where I couldn't see family, and was always at home studying or doing assignments...having a bird was a blessing, not a difficulty.

To address ringnecks specifically -

Either adopt an adult you have interacted with and know the personality, or a hand-reared baby from a reputable breeder. Most peoples' difficulties come from adopting IRN's that are not tame. Perhaps because they were aviary reared, or because they were hand raised but then never interacted with. Trying to tame an untamed bird is a lot of work, a very long process, and you have to be prepared for the fact that you may have a bird that will never be tame. It is very common for people to get aviary raised/untamed IRN's because they are commonly raised as aviary birds where many (most?) parrots are not. This is likely because people enjoy working with with them because of their mutations, not their pet quality factor.

The difference in how they are raised is striking. I once adopted a pair of aviary raised linneolated parakeets. These birds are known as a species for being calm and affectionate (and when hand raised, they are!). Even though mine had a huge flight cage they were so terrified of people that they hurt themselves flying into the cage if I simply walked by. Completely wild and terrified, a stark contrast to the laid back, gentle, calm birds most people know them as.

I own just one IRN, although I've seen a range in personalities from other IRN's. Every one I saw that was hand raised and loved and continually interacted with was a lovely companion bird. There are differences of course (some don't like to be touched by hands) and IRN's are a lot more intelligent,headstrong and active than cockatiels and even other parrots of similar size.

My IRN was adopted as a hand raised baby. However, she had badly splayed legs and was clipped before I got her. This caused many, many problems...but I've persisted. Even though she is a hormonal little thing right now...she is still an amazing companion bird. IMO how they are raised initially, even if there are some challenges (as in my case) determines so much about how the bird will grow and behave.
Hydrophobic333

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

Thanks for all of your guys' help, but we went to the rescue we are working with and found our baby. (: He isn't a ringneck, but we fell in love with him. So I'll definitely keep this site in mind should I ever decide to bring one into my home. Thank you all!
MissK

Post by MissK »

We love all birds! If you come back maybe you'll tell us what you got!
-MissK
Hydrophobic333

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

Oh, I'll definitely share! (: I go back to visit him tomorrow, and find out how much it will be to adopt him.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Put it in the Share Your Flock section. Include photos.
-MissK
Hydrophobic333

Post by Hydrophobic333 »

I will definitely do that, thanks! (: