Cock 1

Cock 2

cock 3
Dark Left side

violet
Traceyweller

Re: Picture of cobalts & Violets

Post by Traceyweller »

Is cock 1, 2 and 3 deeps , violets or cobalts or just variations in colour . cheers
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

Traceyweller nice collection of birds as I'm sure your aware it can be difficult picking these morphs in natural day light let alone from photo's the thing that interests me you appear to have a good cross section representative of the Violet and Cobalt phenotypes available which puts you in a good position to shed some light on what to expect when breeding from these birds.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Nigel,
Great pictures and I must say some impressive birds. You do have an interesting and unusual collection of blues. As Paul stated trying to pick mutations from photos can be extremely difficult due to factors such as lighting, camera capabilities, and even the device the photo is viewed on. As Ben has mentioned once before, we are getting to the stage where the phenotype of given birds is becoming too similar and as a result too difficult to determined exactly what they are.

What you need to do is track the genetic history of your birds and try and gather as much information on them as possible in order to have some idea as to their true identity. Most breeders will be happy to help. If the background cannot be tracked, then things become much more difficult as you will need to establish a breeding history to outline mode of inheritance, can you produce df birds and so on. You will need to keep accurate records so that you have the data and evidence to give weight to your findings.

Cheers.
Traceyweller

Post by Traceyweller »

Hi paul and thanks for taking the time to reply sorry I cant adding anything that's already been said has I find it extremely hard to pick some birds here my self . I will say your American Violet hen is a real eye opener indeed .
Traceyweller

Post by Traceyweller »

Hi Kappa thank for your reply and I made this post has I didn't want to photo bomb your post.
Question will a double factor deep has a youngster look vey close to single factor violet with Double factor violet looking flights ?
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Nigel,
I don't have any deep in df so I can't answer your question accurately. Martin would be the person to ask. I can speak to him on the weekend and see what his opinion is.
Cheers.