Violet/Cobalt Hen?

Moderator: Mods

Dportgang

Violet/Cobalt Hen?

Post by Dportgang »

I have a Violet/Cobalt Hen (was sold originally as a cobalt but showed some signs of violet too after molting) and was identified as violet cobalt by some "experts" supposedly, she is gorgeous though regardless. Anyway, she is paired with a blue cock, and FINALLY had babies! I had gone on here when I first got the pair about 3 years ago and asked what I might get and was told 1/2 blue and 1/2 violet/cobalt, which turned out correct, I had one of each. I DNA'd the babies and the violet/cobalt is a female and the blue is a male.
A few questions, first of all I want to be sure about the blue male, will he be split to violet/cobalt?
Also, I have 2 female babies from another pair (green female, blue male) one is blue and one is grey pallid (lacewing), can you give me some ideas what I might get if I pair the blue (split? violet/cobalt) with each of them?
I was hoping the blue baby from the blue/grey pair was a male and I was going to pair it with the violet/cobalt female and the lacewing with the blue split male, but unfortunately it was a female too. I'd like to be able to get more violets, violet/cobalts, etc. so other than another violet/cobalt, what do you recommend I pair the violet/cobalt hen with?
sheyd

Re: Violet/Cobalt Hen?

Post by sheyd »

Hi, did you have a picture of the hen and her offspring? (can send to me if you like: cannonboy (at) bigpond.com

Dark Violet Blue ('violet cobalt') X Blue will give you Blue, Violet Blue, Dark Blue ('cobalt'), and Dark Violet Blue. No Bird can be split for Dark or Violet as both are dominant mutations.
Dportgang

Post by Dportgang »

I have a crappy camera that just is not capable of capturing the coloring of these gorgeous birds, plus the mother bird is in full molt right now. I will try to get someone with a decent camera over here t otry and capture the true coloring and then submit the photos.
So are you saying the blue male offspring won't be split?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

that's right (the Blue isn't split).

Did you have old pics you could send instead? the other option would be to look at other Dark Violet Blues on here and see if your hen and her young matches them.

Here is an old thread with some fantastic reference pics of sfViolet Blue, sfDark sfViolet Blue, and sfDark dfViolet:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ine#p90524

cheers
Dportgang

Post by Dportgang »

So my blue male won't carry any of the gene from the mother or throw any violet or violet cobalt at all? I know they saw that the female offspring won't be split but I felt sure the male would be.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hens can be split- just not to any sex-linked mutations. Violet and Dark are not recessive mutations, they are dominant, meaning they will 100% express on a bird if they are present- although they can be masked by Ino and Grey these are the only exceptions of where Dark and Violet won't be displayed.

Whoever told you that you would only get Violet Cobalt and Blue offspring from a Violet Cobalt x Blue was wrong, so perhaps they were also be wrong about your hens mutations (let's have a look).

one last thing-
This symbol / means split to (whatever is mentioned after the /) your hen should read as either Violet Cobalt or Dark Violet Blue not as Violet/Cobalt (which is impossible).

hope this helps..