Moderator: Mods

GeveZe

Börek's video album

Post by GeveZe »

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Börek's video album

Post by ringneck »

Aw, she sure loves those scratches. :) What a cutie! Thanks for sharing!

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you =) I'm very lucky She loves scratches
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Everytime she does that, i'm afraid of loosing my mind

http://youtu.be/cHfDfonrHVs
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Great video, many thanks
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Sounds of Börek and at the end She doesn't want scratch this time :mrgreen:

http://youtu.be/GZe2rgF3Yq0
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

I think, she is not an IRN. She is a conure.

http://youtu.be/PU2ib5yJcxw
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Wow! Borek loves scritches more than any other bird I've seen!!!

When she bows her head--that means she wants more. Thats what it mean when my quaker does that.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

ranechild wrote:Wow! Borek loves scritches more than any other bird I've seen!!!

When she bows her head--that means she wants more. Thats what it mean when my quaker does that.

Oh ! I hope she wants more scratches. Thank you Ranechild =)
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

How sweet! She is so pretty.

Most parrot experts recommend only patting the head and not down the body, so you don't give your parrot the idea that you want to do the parrot wild thing with her :wink:
http://www.rationalparrot.com/tease.html
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Oh ! I didn't know that InTheAir. Thank you so much for the information. I'll be careful .. :)
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

GeveZe,

Another great video GeveZe. :)

InTheAir I don't believe that touching the bird along its body will stimulate any sexual response. I think this is another myth that's pushed along in the bird community. In fact, I was watching this one woman who insisted that touching under the wings, feet, and tummy were all sexual. I was totally perplexed. In fact, I found it comical (in a respective way).

In my opinion, touch is simply touch, nothing more. :D Ringnecks do not have sex for pleasure, rather they only breed when the conditions are right and seasonal. I touch all my bird all over their body and they just don't react. In fact, constant touch desensitizes them. :wink:

Besides, so much about ringnecks changes once they are in captivity. :)

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

It is great to see another opinion for that issue. Thank you Imran =) I searched a lot after I heard that. I think same way with you.

Another Börek video. I am melting when she do that =)

http://youtu.be/UW4stElDtdQ
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

ringneck wrote:GeveZe,

Another great video GeveZe. :)

InTheAir I don't believe that touching the bird along its body will stimulate any sexual response. I think this is another myth that's pushed along in the bird community. In fact, I was watching this one woman who insisted that touching under the wings, feet, and tummy were all sexual. I was totally perplexed. In fact, I found it comical (in a respective way).

In my opinion, touch is simply touch, nothing more. :D Ringnecks do not have sex for pleasure, rather they only breed when the conditions are right and seasonal. I touch all my bird all over their body and they just don't react. In fact, constant touch desensitizes them. :wink:

Besides, so much about ringnecks changes once they are in captivity. :)

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Can you provide some references to back those statement up?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Claire I'm happy you brought this up. :wink:

I'm going to do an official post on this topic via my "thoughts" section of the site.

You wanna help me put together an article--it will be perfect! You can discuss how you believe it is "sexual" interaction and I'll discuss why i believe it's not sexual. I think it would be a great opportunity as we can get this topic out in the open and then others will deem what's appropriate handling for them.

It'll be fun! You up for it?! :OP

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Imran, Claire and everyone

I've been to a number of lectures and workshops on companion parrot behaviour, training and care and done my own independent research on breeding behaviours, especially since I have problems with breeding behaviours in my household (see http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=14905).

My research has found that breeding behaviours are triggered by environmental conditions and pair bond enhancers. Preening is an example of a pair bond enhancer. Other pair bond enhancers are courtship regurgitation, cavity seeking & nest building, copulation and other courtship behaviours such as hopping and strutting and particular vocalisations.

Petting can be considered preening by your bird.

I've quoted relevant sections below from Chapter 21 of the Manual of Parrot Behavior edited by Andrew U. Luescher, 2006, Blackwell Publishing.

"Although social preening is common among parrots, there are many nomadic species that reserve physical contact for breeding and fighting. For species that usually maintain a discrete critical distance between individuals, the physical contact of courtship is a powerful mechanism to synchronize males and females for successful breeding.[15, 16, 28] In a home setting, psittacine owners may inadvertently excite their birds through excessive physical contact, thereby encouraging reproductive behavior. "

"Watch Physical Contact
The role of physical contact, usually in the form of affectionate petting, can become extremely important in inciting and fueling hormonal behaviors. Physical contact seems most powerful in cockatoos, Cockatiels, and Budgies. Cockatoos in fact have been recommended and sold as companion birds that will thrive on attention and probably suffer derangement without it. Many birds train their owners early on in the best techniques to cuddle and adore them. These birds delight in having their crests stroked and will often elicit attention by lowering their head. Many female cockatoos demonstrate orgasmic panting and shaking while caressed by owners. The significance significance of this behavior is often missed by owners, who may interpret it as anything from a seizure to a sinus infection. Owners who have been warned about the risks of behavioral problems and feather picking that may result from a lack of attention are often devastated to see these behaviors develop in their companion birds.

The role of physical contact in most adult birds is reserved for courting and breeding behaviors. It is not surprising to find that species that crave physical attention as companion birds are the same ones that incorporate more physical contact into their courtship rituals. Indeed, the crest of cockatoos has been conjectured to be an important lure. The bowing and head-lowering behaviors commonly demonstrated by cockatoos are likely signals between the male and female. These signals probably serve to synchronize the behaviors of the female and male to time nesting, copulation, and ovulation. The remedy, of course, is to decrease physical contact with susceptible birds. As these patterns are often very difficult for pet owners to break, efforts must be made to frame the change in understandable terms. Unfortunately, most owners will only start to listen once degenerative signs develop."

Ellie.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

This is such a wonderful post! I'm pushing it over to my thoughts section. Been working on response. :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

I have a quesions for you InTheAir .

I didn't pet Börek's back after you send me that link. I still read about it. Thank you. Actually it's not a big deal for me. I just can pet her head or just her beak. It is enough for me. I love her company . I just want her to get used to my touchings . If It any accident happens ; I want to control her all body If there is any scar . Because of that I petted her wings and her back . I don't want to pet her back right now. But I found a game for it. I say " where is your beak?" and after that I touch her beak and I say " "There is your beak!" and so many funny noises . I say again " where is your leg?" etc. her wings, her back, her tail. we play that game oftenly . I want her to feel comfortable with my touching for bad times. Is it safe game for that issue? I just touch her not petting in that game..

And there is so sad news for me in that link of yours.

"The female solicits feeding from the male, who feeds her nice warm mushy food from his beak. And, I can promise you, when I'm feeding Buffy warm handfeeding formula off a spoon, she is quite positive that we're going to make babies together. She displays, solicits with wings back, and generally explains to me that I would be a GREAT baby-maker. The male parrots who I feed do not seem to have the same reaction, they just want the handfeeding formula because it tastes great"

this passage is so sad for me because Börek loves my spoon foods. I love spoon foods too. I can give everything in it. And When she lost her appetite for some reason like weather issues, I gave her spoon foods and she didn't lose weight with that way. I am not sure Börek's gender yet. So If she is a female , it will be bad for me. What should I do? I'll be careful for other things in that article. BUt I still want to give Börek spoon foods =(
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

http://youtu.be/0QiTM9j1sxQ

My lovely baby is awesomely cute!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

That last one is so funny. I loved it. It reminds me of a game I used to play with my beautiful old kitty - "Throw Stuff On The Cat", in which I gently piled stuff on the cat while she was lying around, until she got up and walked off. We played it often. :D
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

"Throw Stuff On The Cat" sounds so funny game MissK. So cute! Actually I talk so much in that game. In this video she looks sleepy but she likes that game. I make happy sounds and I give her a lot of kisses during the game. She is awesome! I am happy to share my life with my baby.