what should i pair my blue pied with?

Moderator: Mods

ush2611

what should i pair my blue pied with?

Post by ush2611 »

hi i wonder if anyone can help...as im still so unsure of genetics...i have a blue pied male bird and a violet turquoise male bird...the two hens i have available are a green pied and a violet....i was going to put the violet hen with the turq/violet male...as i really would like the chance to get violet babies....however a breeder said if i put the violet hen with the blue pied i would get the chance to have violet pieds...and that would be really great...(obviously then the violet turq would have to go with the green pied )...what would you more experienced breeders do?? any help would be greatly appreciated
Donovan

Re: what should i pair my blue pied with?

Post by Donovan »

lol, i'm sorry i'm not able to answer this question.. i'm just chiming in...

Don't forget about plain ol green.. they're getting to be hard to find and may be lucrative to breed!
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

WOW i see green ringnecks for sale all the time...i bred a green baby this year from a blue male and lutino hen :D
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

fair enough :P .. i wanted a green recently and would have paid more for it but all i could find were lutinos, violets, and blues.

Probably just coincidence ... sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.. was just sharing a thought.

back on subject though...
ush2611 wrote:i have a blue pied male bird and a violet turquoise male bird...the two hens i have available are a green pied and a violet....i was going to put the violet hen with the turq/violet male...as i really would like the chance to get violet babies....however a breeder said if i put the violet hen with the blue pied i would get the chance to have violet pieds...and that would be really great...(obviously then the violet turq would have to go with the green pied )...what would you more experienced breeders do?? any help would be greatly appreciated
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

really strange, i bred 3 last year and when i looked on preloved two days ago there were loads...where are you though...im north east u.k...ive got a green baby in the nest now ..and a turquoise..but thats sold :D
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

It depends on what you plan to do 2-3 years on. If you require DF pied (a fantastic bird to breed with), then you have to use the green pied hen with the blue pied. If getting 100% pied offspring from such a DF pied isn't a major concern for you, then the violet hen can be used. In that case, both pairs can produce violet pieds, which are also great birds.
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

thankyou johan...at the minute im selling all chicks unless they are spectacular as i dont have the room to keep any...so i guess its not that important..though i would def keep a strong violet pied as i dont have one :D