Börek's Issues

Moderator: Mods

GeveZe

Börek's Issues

Post by GeveZe »

In my first day with Börek, I realized I'm not an IRN person. I'm familiar with only budgies so I don't have any experience about big parrot. And indian ringnecks are not my birdie soul mate =D. But I don't want to rehome Börek. It's my responsibility to own Börek. I made a mistake by making a hasty decision. I can't rehomed her\him that because I want another bird. I don't want to do another mistake. I love Börek and I wasn't sure that Börek's new life would be better if I rehomed Börek.

So we have been together 6 months. We improveed our relationship. Börek doesn't bite me and S\he allows me to pet her\him .But we have some issues:

-Börek doesn't wanna stay on my hand when s\he is in her\his room. But when in another room , S\he stays on my hand all the time. S\he doesn't wanna perch on any where-coach, table, my laps or my head- except my hand.

- I'm at home all the day an i wanna take Börek every room i go. But some days Börek doesn't get even her\his cage because s\he doesn't wanna come with me.

. I need your help for these :)

P.S: I collect all my questions in this title. Thank you =) and sorry for my english.
AJPeter

Re: Börek's Issues

Post by AJPeter »

Let's clear up one thing straight away, the sex is in the name if Borek is a male name then your IRN is male if Borek is a female name then your Irn is a female.

I expect Borek feels safe on your hand when is strange places but in places Borek knows he wants to move on and explore.

I expect your English is a lot better than my attempt at your native tongue.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you AJPeter =) I hope Börek feel safe on my hand . I want to be good mama for Börek.

Börek is an unisex name because Börek is an name of really delicious dish :D l love love love any kind of börek :D

that is börek:
kfmkmgk.jpg
DSC03309 - Kopya.jpg
kdmflkfml.jpg
It's my handmade G börek :D ( my fiancee's name is Gökhan so I made G Börek for me =D )
knknk.jpg
Attachments
kfmkmgk.jpg
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That didn't look like an Indian ringneck! It looks nice though.
Aj is right. Also, parrots are really intelligent, active creatures. Sitting on your hand all day could get pretty boring.
Have you got play stands for Borek?
We have play stands in every room, and our birds fly over to play on them whenever they like and fly back to play with us or nap when they feel like it. The younger one especially gets bored really quickly and will make her own amusement if she is sitting on me, she will try to steal my pens, eat the computer and stuff like that. It is good to encourage young parrots to play by themselves, so they can cope when you don't have time to play with them.

To get him out of the cage, you can leave the door open and let Borek climb out when s/he wants to. You can also put your hand by the door and hold his favourite treat in your other hand so s/he climbs onto your hand to reach it. Let him eat her/his treat and then put him down somewhere that s/he likes to play. If you keep giving him a treat when he climbs on your hand it will build up a good association with sitting on your hand, especially if you don't try to make her/him stay there.
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

InTheAir wrote:That didn't look like an Indian ringneck! It looks nice though.
The younger one especially gets bored really quickly and will make her own amusement if she is sitting on me, she will try to steal my pens, eat the computer and stuff like that.
Have your birds learned how to turn off your monitor while you're doing something?.. then look at you like, "yeah?.. so?"
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi GeveZe,

Please do not worry about your English. We understand you! Thank you for using English so we can talk. :) Please let us know if you don't understand something we said so we can try again.

I saw some things you built for Borek in some of your photos. Is it possible for you to build a perch that can travel with you, from the same materials?

I noticed that my bird will not sit on unfamiliar things. If you can make or buy a bird stand and set it near his cage until he will sit on it, then you may be able to bring it with you in the house for him to use instead of always your hand.

Please tell us more examples of how you are not an IRN person. Maybe we can help!
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you everyone for your concern and advises. It's very important for me. And I hope that Börek is female so i call her "she".

You are right InTheAir. It is a weird name. :D But when I called out to her name, It' makes me happy :D

Börek's cage is open all day ( 08.30 am to 10.00 pm). Before , she only used her cage for eating. This behavior started when I wanted to make her get out of the room.when I come near to the door, Börek flies away and goes to her cage. After that she doesn't get out from there for a while.

Also, she acts diffirently when we are in another rooms. She doesn't eat anything, she doesn't play toys ; she just stay on my hand and dozes off. She becomes like statue. before i couldn' touch her wings of feet or chest in her room.( now i can :) ) but in another room, i can touch anywhere i want :D like that :
IMG_2209.jpg
IMG_2216.jpg
( i love that feathers =) )

she has two T perchs, a tall one and a short one . sometimes i managed to make her perched on T perch. she stays there for a while but again, she doesn't eat anyting and she doesnt play with her toys. I build two play stand. For börek and for my budgies. ( I have two budgies. female 4 years old male 3,5 years old. they are living in another room now, because Börek started to attack them after 4 months she came to home. another problem :D ). i can take one of playstands another room. but it doesn't work too. but i will try again.

Thank you MissK . You can write anything you want. I can understand well. But writing in another language is harder than reading. I wish I will improve my english skill with this forum.

I thought I am not IRN person because I have no experience about big parrots. I'm afraid of make mistakes. Im afraid of that i don't make her happy . I want spend all day with my bird. maybe a cuddly and small parrot ( like lovebird ) is right for me. I'm not sure . All the things i know comes from what i read. maybe in the future i'll think that i'm an IRN person after learning more about them. I just wanna good mama for Börek now =)
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Not a lot of ringnecks are cuddly creatures. They can still have fulfilling lives without the cuddling and they can be great companions even if they don't cuddle. I have found that ringnecks can be somewhat slow to trust. That being said, I am perfectly happy with my four fids. They all have different personalities and I only get to cuddle with one of them, but only when SHE wants to cuddle. Make no mistake; it's all about her and what she wants. :)
~Dana

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thanks Dana. I think I'm lucky because Börek wants cuddle sometimes. espectially when she is sleepy. I get to cuddle only she wants too. But sometimes it s so difficult. they are so cute :D
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

And they are so soft!!! Why can't they realize we just want to touch them and cuddle them?!?!? :lol:
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

Borek is a perfect name. I have had two human friends named Candy.... Also, food words have a history of being used for terms of endearment -- Pumpkin, Sugar, (in French) Chou, etc.

I think Borek is afraid when she remains still like that.

I am envious, though, of you getting to pet her.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you MissK. Don't be envious. Maybe she is just giving me a treat. Maybe she is educating me :D " come human come and pet me. Ant then make delicious foods for me." :D

So, what should I do? I don't want her to afraid off other rooms. It's big problerm for me because I can't educate her in her area. she is so strong in her room. She doesn't listen to me. Should I give her some time or should I take her other rooms with me? I don't want to be persistent. But, I think, I must be determined/stable.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, this is a tough question for me. I don't think you can do any one thing and have Borek relax in a few days. I would suggest do not force her to face any fears. If she is afraid to go there, don't make her. On the other hand, I understand if you are in her regular territory she may not mind you at all. I believe the thing to do is to win her attention in her regular room. You probably should use food. It may take quite some time.

I feel for you there. I know it is disheartening. I just brought home a bird who is much less tame than I expected. I am expecting it to take a few years to get to the condition I would like him to be, although I acknowledge that I am much more relaxed about it than many.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you MissK. Your answers are very helpful. I wil try get her attention in our regular room. Maybe she gets used to play on my bed an on my desk. But I want to show her that it's important to go to other rooms for me. Because of that I want to try to get her out our room just once a day. I won't force her. i only wanna make her to see what i want. Is it a wrong idea?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Is there any food she loves so much that she will follow it? I think this is the key to many, many challenges. When the bird is willing to challenge herself in order to gain the special treat, she may follow the treat into the scary area. If it were me, I would do this:

1) Determine the best treat that will truly motivate the bird.
2) Let the bird learn to follow this treat in your hand while you are in the comfortable area.
3) When the bird learns to expect that you are going to play the "game" of following the treat, then start asking her to do tiny new things in order to get it. Example might be coming closer to the doorway out of the comfortable room.
4) As the bird gains confidence and willingness to approach the doorway, gradually increase the requirement to gain the treat.
5) Keep the difference between what the bird is willing to do readily and the new request tiny. It's easier to go just one more scary step than it is to go ten more scary steps, for anyone.
6) Also look carefully at the next room and try to identify any scary thing. Look near the ceiling for things that hang above, especially. Anything that moves on its own might be frightening, perhaps a house plant that is moving in the air, or another person reading a newspaper, etc.
7) Remember the story of the young man who carried a baby cow up the stairs every day. In time, they say, he could carry a grown cow! ( :wink: Do they have this "story" where you live? :D )
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Oh MissK I'm so happy right now. someting awesome has happened 20 minutes ago :D I was on my bed and she was in her cage. When we watched some indian ringneck's videos on my computer ,she wanted to climb onto my hand . She stayed on my hand at least 5 minutes. It's first time. Normally she stays 3 seconds in her room. I told her how I'm happy. I gave her a kiss and I said "good bird" etc. I offered her treats , foods and toys. but she didn't accept any of them. When she turned her back to computer an me, i supposed that she wanted to go back to her cage. But she didn't accept to go back., either. She just stayed on my hand. After 5 minutes she wanted to go her cage =). then she flied on my pc and she watched videos. That's make me soooo happy =)

Also ; thank you for answer again. She loves foods that i feed her with spoon. I will apply each one of them step by step.

Idon't know why she doesn't accept my treats.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Could be a finger thing. Ringnecks are not overly fond of fingers. Even very tame ones have an innate distrust of fingers.
~Dana

GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thanks Dana. She always accepts treats from my hand when she in in her cage or on her playgym. Börek is very gluttony but She doesn't accept on my hand or in other rooms. Maybe she doesnt feel comfortable in these situations. I sing a lullaby everynight for her. She gived me first goodnight kiss tonigt. It's my lucky day.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Why is Börek doing this behavior? Sometimes she is doing all day long, in her cage , on her play stand on my closet.

http://youtu.be/F_IHg9RCTQM
MissK

Post by MissK »

I don't know? It looks in a way similar to Sinbad's "let me out of here" dance he did in the small cage when I first got him. But he was also leaning forward and holding the wings out a little.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Börek has a kind of small cage but her cage open all day. I will buy a new cage if I move in my house. I don't know why she is doing that. I tried to take her another room this morning. She calmed down a little bit. Ow i forget to tell this : she wanted to go to other rooms yesterday. She doesn't afraid anymore.
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's good news!
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Is it possible that Börek doesn't wanna get treat for doing something? Her first owner is so cruel. He said he didn't give her food before training because he wanted her to accept the treat. He thought it is a good idea. I'm very mad for this.

When we eat together, she doesn't eat from her bowl. She wanna eat from my hand. But when i offer a treat for step up my hand, she never accept it. I tried someting the day before yesterday, she doesnt wanna step up my hand but she steps up for my kiss. Is this weird ? Is she afraid accept treats for doing something?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Did you give her lots to eat before training, so much she is all cozy and full, not interested in food?
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

When I tried she just woke up. She didn't eat anything. I want to give her recall training so much. Because i dream about she will freefly someday. Maybe I must wait a little while. But I feel that she avoid from training.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Yay! Börek accepted a treat for step up my hand. She didn't eat her treat on my hand. she take it and go back to perch. But it is enough for now. I'm happy with this
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Im so happy she ate on my hand this time :D
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Our relationship is so good right now. I feel she trust me. I can touch and I can kiss every part of her :D She gives me kisses a lot. I feel she wanna be with me. She likes me anymore. :lol:

But I have a huge problem. Börek obsessed with the budgies. They stay in different rooms. Because 4 months after she came home, she started to attack the budgies. Now, she flies to their room's door everytime she has a chance. I thought that maybe she want to be friends with them. I tried to get them together but Börek attacked to the budgies again. She is like a hunter. I wonder if one of her ancestor is a hawk. Sometimes she doesn't think anything but the budgies. I'm so sorry about that. I have any information about her past. Her aviary is in another country. Maybe she lived with ringnecks in aviary before she came to my country. I feel she need a ringneck companion sometimes :( But I know I can't handle two ringnecks. What I am gonna do?
MissK

Post by MissK »

GeveZe, I'm sorry I didn't keep up with this thread in the last few days.

What are you going to do? I don't know. I don't know why Borek is obsessed with Budgies. I would not advise you to bring more birds for Borek, in case she doesn't like to be friends with birds. That could be how she feels, liking humans better. I'm lucky my birds seem to be happy with each other.

Maybe you have to be her flock. Maybe there is someone else who has a single Ringneck that might like to visit, just to see if they might like each other. **You would first let them visit in their own cages, from separate sides of the room. No need to make Borek feel she wants to defend her room and no reason to make a visitor come too close too fast. Maybe Borek just has to live as a single bird, and this is the price she pays for being a pet. :( :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Maybe you continue to be a very wonderful, caring, compassionate keeper to the birds you have now. Maybe, even, maybe one day Borek changes her mind about Budgies.

I let a few birds come to my house, and I took Rocky to see some birds in other people's houses. I got a pretty good idea that he felt friendly towards other birds, but that he did not want to be rushed to meet them up close. It helped me have a little confidence about bringing home a second. Plus, I got VERY LUCKY that they like each other right away.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

It's not important I can wait MissK. You always help me so much =) I appreciate it. =)

Actually I'm one bird person. I just want a single bird that always with me. I wanna go everywhere together. I wanna spend all day with one bird. If the budgies gave me attention, I would never own Börek. So, I hope Börek wants to be single bird. I want to meet another Ringneck owner sometime. Now I don't know anybody in my town. I just don't want to my bird feels lack of anything. I think, the only thing I can do is waiting.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

I caught this video a few minutes ago. http://youtu.be/iynneTU-dPI

I think this is male flirting behaviour.

Börek did same thing 2 months ago. That's the video http://youtu.be/fpzN82cU4AA

. I'm still not sure about her gender. It's so bad :( I don't even know my baby's gender
MissK

Post by MissK »

How old is Borek now? I might have thought I saw some wings in the first video but Borek's behaviour looks not at all like Rocky's and Sinbad's. I loved the laughing noise. :)

Here's video I found. I think it is from someone here on the Forum, but I'm not sure who.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AQv1lfF8k
At 53 and 128 seconds you can get a good look at the flamboyant leaning action. :lol:
If that were my bird he would also want to be waving a foot toy.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Yes I know that video, i think indian ringnecks' mate dance is so poetic. Börek is 1,5 year old now. Do you watch second video? I think you can see that better in the second video.

Is that laughing noise ??? :D
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Typical flasher in raincoat
MissK

Post by MissK »

Agree. It's like they're proud of themselves just for being boys.

GeveZe, I think the laughing I liked was in your second video. Wish I knew how to post a video.... At a year and a half you can start inspecting Borek's beck for different coloured feathers, next molt.
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

I'm so curious , waiting is so hard for me :roll: I want to see your videos MissK.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

GeveZe wrote:I'm so curious , waiting is so hard for me :roll: I want to see your videos MissK.
Good things take time. At least Missk has figured out how to post photos for us, especially of lynnie! :D
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

InTheAir wrote:
GeveZe wrote:I'm so curious , waiting is so hard for me :roll: I want to see your videos MissK.
Good things take time. At least Missk has figured out how to post photos for us, especially of lynnie! :D

:lol: :lol:
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Börek's new subject of interest is mirors. She just want to watch herself. Like the picture
image.jpg
image.jpg (33.51 KiB) Viewed 9462 times
But i don't want her to be obsessed with mirrors. So i just give her five minutes in a day. And i always with her. I tell her that is a reflection. I said " Börek look at the miror. That's you and that's me. There isn't another bird, honey. Ok? That is just a reflection. " is she understand it is a reflection of herself ? I am so nervous about it.
What should I do ?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have a large wall mirror behind Billie's cage, she has never tried to feed her image but tells all her darkest secrets to her reflection, in the morning while I get the cage ready l often see Billie talking to her image, it must be awful for birds who only have a porthole size mirror to see them selves.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Thank you AJPeter. Agree with you. I don't like tiny mirrors like budgies' mirrors.
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Hi everyone! I didn't write for a while. I just want to say we don't have any big issues with Börek anymore. We are together for one year. We are so good together. I learned My baby's body language and she learned mine. I want to thank you all. This forum helped me so much. =)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, GeveZe! Congratulations! I'm so glad you're doing well together!!
Now make more photos!
:lol:
-MissK
GeveZe

Post by GeveZe »

Hey , MissK! I am so happy too. You know what! Now, I am sure I am a ringneck person. Yay! And I wil make more photos of course :D