half blue, half green, ish

Moderator: Mods

yellowring

half blue, half green, ish

Post by yellowring »

Hi there, a few of you may remember me from a few months ago when i had an unexpected mating...

Everything went very well with that situation, and because of that, my wife has let me get a new bird!

It is a breeder reject, because it has mild scoliosis and has a bit of a crooked spine.
But i had it checked out at a avian vet and she said it is just fine and she has definitely seen much worse.
He gets around just fine and is very friendly, having been hand raised, but is a bit timid as he had been thrown/stuck/forgotten in a big aviary for months, which is better than the alternative I guess.

Anyway, I think he is just great, he is so beautiful and his personality makes up for his imperfections.
He gets along very well with my other birds too, so that is a huge relief.

I was just wondering what his coloring is called, he is splotchy half-n-half blue and green, the vet said she had never seen one this color before.
Than ks for looking everybody :)
Attachments
irn3.jpg
irn2.jpg
irn1.jpg
Dave Jacas

Re: half blue, half green, ish

Post by Dave Jacas »

Hi it's a turquoise blue
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I told my bf to check out this thread as his bird, Nila, is like your new birds twin. Same colour, scoliosis from juvenile metabolic syndrome and the best personality ever!
Did you get blood work done?
yellowring

Post by yellowring »

lol, just plain old turquoise blue...??
Ok, thats cool, all my other birds are just yellow, so with this boy I get blue AND green color in my little flock ;)

Um, I actually just started this bird on baytril regime, it has slight pasty butt, the vet couldnt find anything in er tests friday and over the weekend, so she just went with the ol fix-all of baytril.

Apparently this bird has an extensive medical history at another vet in another city, and today they are supposed to have sent it all up to my vet, so when she calls me I will know what all has been done for/to the bird.

Lol, its kinda scary, because the bird almost seems to like the medicine, and from how calm and readily he takes it, Id say he is used to taking meds... :(

Anyways, we have 10 days of meds to get through, after which I will call the vet for further instructions.

I was almost thinking, since the vet cant easily find a cause for the poop-butt, maybe its just that since the bird has scoliosis, maybe its vent isnt pointed straight down and it kinda gets into his feathers because of that... I asked the vet, and she said that she HAS seen that sitch before, but she doesnt think my bird has scoliosis bad enough for that, she did not rule it out, she does believe its a bacterial issue not cleanliness.

The vet also said she believes the scoliosis is hereditary, not from any kind of a deficiency when young.
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

hi i have two just like it...they are turquoise...i actually bought one as an aqua...but apart from one being slightly brighter they are the same colour..technically they are blue birds...i think turqoise/aqua are a stunning clour...i have a stunning violet turquoise...he has a turquoise upper body and chest and a violet bottom half and tail ...gorgeous...but expensive
yellowring

Post by yellowring »

Medical problems aside, I really like this new bird!
He is such a sweetheart, after I give him his drops in his beak he wants to snuggle up for some lovin and attention.
He is such a good bird, so friendly and doesnt hold a grudge against me for putting him thru all this.
And I just love his color, I am trying to think of a good name for him, having to do with his "sea-green" colors...
Only a few more days of meds to go.... :)