Behaviour management & training

Moderator: Mods

Grooleys

Behaviour management & training

Post by Grooleys »

Hi, I need some advice about my bird's behavior. Sammy (we've been calling it "he") is only 18 mths old, no sign of a ring yet, so we don't know which it is, boy or girl, but from what I've read he is displaying behavior from both. For the first 8 or so months of his life he was confined to a cage without much interaction & no handling as the previous owner couldn't handle him when he started to bite. I acquired Sammy as I felt so sorry for him. I took the time to get him used to me, with great success, so I then became his mum. My problem now has come about after trying to solve another problem. Sammy's cage is on our veranda, and at about 4:30/5am the wild birds would start their morning songs and this seemed to set off Sammy who would then start screaming. We decided to put a smaller, travel size cage in my room for night time so Sam wouldn't wake so early. At first Sam hated to get in the cage, but it solved the screaming problem & he loves getting out in the morning to fly around my room. Well the problem now is that Sammy has grown to love this new cage to the point where when he is put back in his day cage, which is right outside my room on the veranda, he screams constantly to be let back into the room.
I have recently started to use a clicker to train him to stop the screaming, but in the last week or so the screaming won't even stop when he is covered and he paces on his sticks. When Sam is in the room he is very protective of the cage and it seems like he is nesting as he does the chicken scratch (sometimes it seems like he does it non stop). I don't want to leave him in my room as he isn't potty trained and won't wear his nappy. I don't want to give into him but I also don't want to have an complaints about the noise.
I love him very much and it is upsetting that I can't seem to help him.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
sanjays mummi

Re: Behaviour management & training

Post by sanjays mummi »

Is there a big difference in the size of the cages?, because pacing is usually a sign that the cage is too small, as for the screaming, try giving him foraging foods and toys. Sanjay used to join in the dawn chorus when his cage was nearer to the window, I am surprised your bird screams when covered up, as Sanjay has never done this. Perhaps you can find solutions among the threads here, or from more experienced members.
Grooleys

Re: Behaviour management & training

Post by Grooleys »

The inside cage is a lot smaller, just using it for night when he's asleep, the outside cage is big enough to for more than one Ringneck.