Visual grey baby from visual grey cock & "olive green" hen

Moderator: Mods

Terje

Visual grey baby from visual grey cock & "olive green" hen

Post by Terje »

I am considering an offer of a young grey chick. It's pure grey, no green. The cock is the same color, grey with no hint of green. I'm guessing what they call "olive green" is a grey green hen. Now, my question is this: Knowing only these factors, what would you seasoned breeders deduct from this information regarding the genetic makeup of this grey chick? I don't know its gender.
sheyd

Re: Visual grey baby from visual grey cock & "olive green" h

Post by sheyd »

I deduce from the above, that they Grey chick carries two recessive Blue genes and at least one dominant Grey genes. It could be of either gender..

Yeah, GreyGreen's are still commonly (but mistakenly) called 'olives' unfortunately some people just call it how they see it.
Terje

Post by Terje »

Ok, thanks - he or she is here, I'll be getting the dna sexing done in a few wees, along with the usual check for the most common diseases. He's 7 ½ weeks and in the process of being weaned but still greedily eats a couple of spoonfuls of baby formula twice a day. Image
Terje

Post by Terje »

sheyd wrote:I deduce from the above, that they Grey chick carries two recessive Blue genes and at least one dominant Grey genes. It could be of either gender..

Yeah, GreyGreen's are still commonly (but mistakenly) called 'olives' unfortunately some people just call it how they see it.
Just popping back to say that he's now fully weaned, and almost fully feathered and a lot bigger. He was badly plucked by the parents when I got him 3 weeks ago. I'm still trying to get my head around the genetics - and what the above statement means if I should decide to pair him (or her, I don't know yet) up for breeding at some point. Also, I can't seem to find the right settings in the genetic calculator for him to even exist. Everything I put in about the parents come out with only grey green babies. What am I missing? Btw, tomorrow he's getting a new baby sister or brother - a 5 weeks old violet.