Blue Indigo same as emerald?

Moderator: Mods

bridgey

Blue Indigo same as emerald?

Post by bridgey »

I was looking at buying a Blue Indigo but have no idea what that actually means/is. Genetic wise look wise Is it similar to an Emerald, or the same just called different names depending on the country? I'm in Australia.

I have a pair of Lutino, i'm wanting to get a SF Violet hen for my Lutino cock, which should give me green and green violet cocks lutino and violet ino females. Correct?
I'm not sure what the Blue Indigo are to know what it would do with my female Lutino.

Any help please :D
Mad Max

Re: Blue Indigo same as emerald?

Post by Mad Max »

Hi Bridgey

You will get the following from that combination

1,0 ino x 0,1 Violet blue

Cocks

50% green /ino /blue
50% Violet green /ino /blue

Hens

50% ino /blue
50% ino Violet /blue

Indigo Blue has a different neckring , It is Black and White . Turquoise has a Black ,White and red neckring (I am not 100% sure but I think emerald has a lighter neckring also Black and White) The emerald will have a more evenly distrabuted green colour over the bird with yellow socks and yellow underwing . The Indigo will have white socks and white underwing .

Regards
Robert
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

So visually I'll have green cocks and lutino hens?
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Bridgey
I'm not sure how much this will help but here goes. A normal wild type ringneck has an overall distribution of yellow pigment as seen in your lutino birds. Those lutinos carry 2 blue genes each and those genes have in effect removed all black/grey pigment from the feathers to allow the beautiful yellow to be seen on its own.
A single blue gene in a bird has no effect on the black/grey pigmentation and it will look exactly like a normal green bird. However there are several "blue series" genes that combine with a single blue gene to have a significant visual impact on a bird's colour. They are Turquoise, Indigo, Sapphire and Emerald.
Put very simply, Turquoise, Indigo and Sapphire, in combination with a single blue gene, result in a patchy distribution of yellow pigment to give you a blue bird with patches of green. Turquoise allows more green than Indigo and Sapphire gives you even less still. These mutations are "progressive" which means that the amount and distribution of green changes significantly as the bird matures. It stabilizes at full maturity with a turquoise cock bird having a black/white/pink neck ring and an indigo bird having a black/white neck ring.
Emerald in combination with a single blue gene seems to change the nature/colour of the yellow pigmentation over the whole bird. It does not seem to be particularly progressive, it is not patchy and it results in an overall sea green or aqua appearance (emeralds were called aquas in Europe for years). The resulting yellow pigmentation, when seen on its own (in my case in cleartails) is very pale/delicate, quite unlike the strong yellow in a lutino.
Apart from the patchiness, the colour of indigo and emerald birds is similar but not exactly the same. I can send you some photos but it will have to be direct as this site can only handle low resolution pics.
Kind regards
Mike
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

Sure thing Mike. bridgeiain mail com