Coco is very lonely

Moderator: Mods

Little Buttercup

Coco is very lonely

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi there everyone!

Coco needs a companion, she is very quiet at times, sits for hours in one spot, then again she will scream for ages. She does'nt play and only eats when I say 'eat' or when I sit next to her and eat my meal. When I stop eating then she also stops. I have been looking around for another cockatiel but did'nt find one yet. I wanted a tame one so I don't have to work at taming, I really do like taming birds but at this moment I just don't feel like it. Ringnecks are my favourite, but I don't feel like getting another one now. Also the thought comes will it get along well with Coco. A kind lady that saw my lost ringneck posters called me the other day offering me 2 of her ringencks! Because she has too many. I'm two-minded about it. Its so hard to turn down free ringnecks that talks alot, on the otherhand will they like Coco? Or will they gang up against her? Also their colour is green! Surely I don't want them to remind me of Kiwi each time I see them. She said their father is blue and mom green, but all the chicks are green. They are a year old so she does'nt know their gender yet.

I was also thinking should I just get 2 budgies. Would that be a good idea? But I don't have a cage thats suitable for budgies at the moment, so they will be free in the birdroom with a small sleepcage. What other birds would get along with cockatiels, any ideas? Or should I just get a second hand cockatiel, and not bother with taming, if he is'nt tame?

Ash
MissK

Re: Coco is very lonely

Post by MissK »

Hi Ash,

I think you've presented three choices, and of course each has its advantages and disadvantages. I understand you may not be able to find tame birds, and you are not up for taming just at this time. If not tame, which of these species would you find easiest to live with?

Get a second Cockatiel~ I've never kept a Cockatiel, though I did share a house with one. I always feel that flock animals deserve the company of their own kind, and I suspect this pairing might be the most satisfying to Coco. On the other hand, Coco might resent competition. Regardless of how two Cockatiels feel about each other, they should be most fairly matched of these three combinations. If there were any kind of argument between them, I feel this would be the safest pairing.

Get a green Ringneck (or two)~ I would caution you, if you choose this option, to spend extensive time with the IRN(s) to determine the level of tameness and how you feel about it. It's the same caution I would give to anyone in any circumstance, if they had that option. You might go there to spend time, regardless. Seeing multiple green IRNs and getting to know them as individuals might help with your grieving process. Then you could see how you really feel about that. There is the concern here that if they did not get on with Coco, Coco could be hurt badly. However, Coco might readily welcome them because of the prior happy relationship with the similar bird.

Get a pair of Budgies~ I always think Budgies are the easiest option, and so I have a bias here I will try to overcome. You would want to get two, for their fulfillment, but stop at two. I discovered four is really very noisy. As with pairing Ringnecks and Cockatiels, pairing Budgies with Cockatiels puts the smaller species in serious danger in case of a bird-on-bird conflict. I got my first Budgie alone and gave her time to develop flock feelings for my IRN before I brought the second. I'm concerned that if you just bring home two Budgies at the same time they would not give Coco a second look, and no bond would happen for Coco. You could probably keep Budgies in whatever cage you were going to use of a Cockatiel or Ringneck, unless the bar space was really too big.

My first feeling is that I would recommend a second Cockatiel, but YOU should go where your heart and head lead you. I would like to see you befriend that lady with the IRNs, regardless, and spend some time there for your own good.

All my best,
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Poor coco! It must be so hard for both of you.
I think cockatiel is the safest bet too.

Also, does this affect pet owners in your region? http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 9&start=50
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Thanks Missk, you put everything down so nicely, as you always do for us confused individuals! I have been thinking about it and really do think its best to get a cockatiel. Since I want another bird for Coco and not for myself. If its for myself I would definitely go for Ringnecks. And budgies would'nt do now because the bar spacing of Kiwi's cage is too wide. Its not the ideal cage for a ringneck even, it was more for sleeping and eating in, since the bird room is like a huge cage for them, with 3 playtrees in it, and I was busy making a play table from an old table that no one uses. Kiwi would have really enjoyed it, i've stopped working on it, got to complete it still. He took to new toys and trees like a fish takes to water! Even when I re-arrange the room and move cages and trees in different places he goes on as if I bought new stuff for him! The one playtree I just made it this year and he really liked, its a medium size one, a lovely branch that I just added 1 piece for a straight perch. He would play non-stop on that tree. And I was still doing a large one too nearly touching the ceiling, that one I took out yesterday and left it outdoors again since it was taking up too much space in my work room and I don't know when will I start on that one again. Oh my, How did I go so off topic! :o :?

Anyway, I will see what cockatiels are available at the moment. Even if its not tame it would be fine. Actually I don't want a handraised one, I want the bird to know he is a bird and not feel he is human, like Coco does. Parent raised about about 6 months or under would be ideal, but i'm prepared to take an older one if a young is not available. I also believe that flock animals deserve their own kind for company, it was my intention that once Coco and Kiwi bonds with each other then i'll get another cockatiel and once that one and Kiwi develop flock feelings then I would get another IRN.

Claire, I've checked out that link, not so sure if it applies to my region as well, I suppose it would.

Ash