Advice on new friend please

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

DLR1974

Advice on new friend please

Post by DLR1974 »

Hi I have a female indian ringneck that I've had for 2 months she is now about 7 months old, my question is that I have just acquired a male ringneck approx 4 to 5 months old but my female keeps attacking him, do I put them in seperate cages for a while as she won't let him eat and chases him around her cage and what's the best advise on letting them out? Do I allow them out to play together or separately? Advise ASAP would be very appreciated as I don't want any of them getting hurt, thanks
InTheAir

Re: Advice on new friend please

Post by InTheAir »

Definitely keep them separated for now.
MissK

Post by MissK »

So, I would absolutely keep them in separate cages and I also would not put those cages right next to each other. If you have to put them close, be sure to put a sight barrier between them, so they can see each other if they go for a look, but each has a space to get some privacy. Nobody wants to be jammed up next to someone who wants to attack them all the time. And on the other hand, nobody wants to feel like they have to be keeping intruders at bay all the time either.

Perhaps separate rooms would be good for now, or a good distance, whatever they show you is comfortable for them. You can probably get them closer over time if you are willing to work at it, but let them each have some peace and relax for a while. Accept that they may work things out with some help or they may just be enemies forever.

Sorry that's not really the one-two-three step advice we all would prefer, but it's what I've got.
-MissK
DLR1974

Post by DLR1974 »

Thanks for advice I have seperates them but do I allow them out of the cages together? Thanks
MissK

Post by MissK »

I have to defer to others with more experience on that, but I would think that if you can reasonably handle/keep hands on at least one of the birds (to stop it attacking or protect it from attack) then you could let them out together under extremely close personal supervision - ie, you are right smack there with them, in arms reach. Of course, you have to be willing to reach into any kind of fight and get one of them out. If you are not 100% prepared to intervene this would not be a great idea.
-MissK
DLR1974

Post by DLR1974 »

Hi Thankyou everyone for your advice, I have let them both out this evening just to test the water, female went straight into males cage and tried to eat his food but I took it straight off her and she came back out, she was absolutely fine with him outside of the cage so I will just persevere and keep them in seperate cages for now until they are used to each other and just let them both out when we are there, they are both eating and drinking so seem happy enough, thanks everyone I will keep you posted on how they are doing, also by looking at my picture can anybody tell if I do have a male and female? From what I was told the female is on the left and male on the right, I would be grateful of any replies, thanks Dawn
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's good that they play well out of the cage.
What size cage have you got? Has your female been occupying it alone for a while?
DLR1974

Post by DLR1974 »

Hi the cage is huge I will try to upload a pic of it and yes my female has been alone in it for about a month and a half
Last edited by DLR1974 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
DLR1974

Post by DLR1974 »

Oh sorry forgot to say they don't play together out of cage but she doesn't seem to attack him she just watches him and follows wherever he is