exciting day!

Moderator: Mods

tasha87

exciting day!

Post by tasha87 »

After having him 5 months, my little boy Paco finally landed on my hand! I was doing my morning feeding/cage cleaning and at that time I always talk to them and try to offer treats. He has taken them from my hand a few times but never regularly, but today he landed on my hand for a second, took his treat and flew off. A huge step considering how wild my birds seem to be
pards007

Re: exciting day!

Post by pards007 »

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! That is so great and so much patience!
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Im very proud. I usually get met with a nice blood drawing bite lol I love these birds though. My female is super wild, shes gonna take a lot more work
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

when offering a treat from your hand... hold your hand a little further away than normal.. make him really stretch to reach the treat... .. do that a few times.. and then increase the distance until he has to actually hop over to reach your hand.

after getting him used to that increase the distance even more... so he has to fly to you...

if he's pretty hungry at the time that helps, but be sure you don't starve him in the name of getting him to fly to you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Congratulations on your exciting news; I share your joy!
-MissK
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

My sweet husband built my birds a beautiful, window side, indoor, mini aviary this weekend. They LOVE it. They have branches going all the way up to the ceiling (9 feet in the air) and they have plenty of room to fly...I think its really going to help with the taming process now because instead of just putting my hand in the cage to offer treats I can go inside and sit wih them and they can see me and see im not a threat to them....I love theae little guys
pards007

Post by pards007 »

That sounds nice. Send a pic when you get a chance, I love seeing those kind of projects.
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Hmmm im trying but it says file is too big....let me try from my phone see if it will let me there
tasha87

Post by tasha87 »

Nope, not from my phone either... but its about 4x4x9 ft. Its in front of a good size window right in my living room lol (the window has an outside cover so it can be closed it cases of extreme heat/cold. Its also caged from the inside so we can open it and give the birds fresh air) I have a large fresh orange tree branch with many smaller branches coming off of it that goes from floor to ceiling. I put a few of their toys from the old cage in there for now but its still a little empty. Im giving them some time to adjust to the space before I overwhelm them with toys. Im also thinking of adding some type of fountain so they can play in running water....just trying to figure out how to safely do so.