Adopted an Alexandrine- Feather Issues & Behaviour Questions

Moderator: Mods

PepperSprite

Adopted an Alexandrine- Feather Issues & Behaviour Questions

Post by PepperSprite »

Hi Everyone, This could be a really long post so thanks for reading in advance.

I just acquired a 5yr old Female Alexandrine this weekend unseen.

I was told her feathers are always a bit scruffy around her red on the wings. What I see is not scruffy, its an issue.
The previous owners took her to the vet about it and I have the blood results but they are in hubbys car so I cant post them up until he gets home.

It looks like her red is going through a molt, that or her red wing feathers don't even exist and they are just a constant baby fluff? Surely something will cause this?

She was being fed on Vetafarm Maintenance Pellets and Fresh fruit and vegetables. She has no idea what a nut is nor seed.

She preens herself quite well from what I have seen in the last 24hrs, Her beak looks slightly narrower than my Inlaw's Alex's I don't think she is a pure Alex either she seems slightly smaller than my Inlaw's Hens.

Here is a pic

While I have also got you, she has no clue how to use her feet to pick anything up, How can I encourage her to start doing that?

I have a feeling she didn't have a very enriched life :( She was hand raised but I don't think she has been handled much at all, My husband was trying to get her to step up last night and she didn't attack him or anything but she didn't want to sit on his hand either.

I feel like we have a loooong road ahead, I feel deflated the previous owner really talked her up and I got a friend who knows nothing about birds to pick her up for me so it was either drive 4hrs to take her back or keep her and work with her as much as I can.
Last edited by PepperSprite on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alicia,
Mum to Peppermint & Sprite
PepperSprite

Re: Adopted an Alexandrine- Feather Issues & Behaviour Quest

Post by PepperSprite »

I forgot to add, I have switched her to the African Vetafarm pellets that we have for our Ringnecks on the advice of our vet.

I don't know if I should have switched her over so soon, or weaned her onto them but she is eating them eagerly
Alicia,
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I am not a medical expert, so I err to the side of consult your vet asap.
I would take any new bird for a check at an avian vet regardless of condition, but especially when it has poor feather condition.

Also, a strict quarantine from your other birds until the vet has given you the Ok.
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

Yep she is in quarantine right now, but the bloods were only taken very recently so I don't know what my vet could tell me that theirs didn't, There are no avian vets in my area either. That's why I posted here in the hope someone may have come across this and have some sort of answer for me.
Alicia,
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

PM Molossus, he may know.
Also, it might be worth checking what disease testing has been done. That diet doesn't that bad, especially when compared to what some bird's survive on for years.
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

InTheAir wrote:That diet doesn't that bad, especially when compared to what some bird's survive on for years.
haha well Thats true, I might actually ring the vet they took her to and have a chat to them once my husband gets home with the paperwork and see what they say
Alicia,
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Alicia,

Congratulations on your new bird, even though she isn't what you expected. As the keeper of a second hand adult IRN who knew little enrichment in his previous situation, I can tell you that a year from now you will be bursting with pride at the accomplishments your bird can make if given the opportunity and encouragement.

I think you should have a try at awakening your bird's fondness for nuts. I feel this way because a nut in the shell is an engaging foraging opportunity AND it is best pursued as the bird holds the nut in the foot. Also provide little "foot toys" with great texture and parts to chew off (paper, wood, twig, grass - whatever). If you can introduce some kind of swing it may help the bird "discover" her feet. I can't cite any text on that; it is the impression I got after watching my bird learn to get more comfortable with his feet.

I wish you the best with your Alexandrine and look forward to hearing about her progress!
-MissK
PepperSprite

Post by PepperSprite »

She picked up a peanut by herself and started chewing away on the shell this morning. It made me so happy
Alicia,