Transportation.

Moderator: Mods

Chainy

Transportation.

Post by Chainy »

I have a 2 year old female. Hand fed, great with the little 8 year old I got it that bought it from a breeder. I have the slickest job in the world, and can potentially have her with me all day. I am going to give her time to adjust to my house first, but would it be too stressful or would she become used to moving daily. I'm the only one in the house and the only person that works in the building. Odd customer.

Cheers guys
InTheAir

Re: Transportation.

Post by InTheAir »

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
My boyfriend's ringneck goes to work with him, usually a couple days a week. He loves it, he talks to Dave and the customers for most of the day.
We just set up a second cage at work so my new-ish bird can try it and see if she likes it this week.
Both of the birds like car rides and visiting people's houses. They are trained to step into their travel cages.

Regards,
Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think Glitter Princess will probably do just fine in your lighthouse! :evil:

:wink: Seriously, I think that since she is two and she has a history with a young girl, she is probably accustomed to a certain amount of "variety" in her life. You will be able to tell right quickly if you need to cover the cage in the car or not. Also, you will be there and she will travel with her own little cage. Will you have a larger cage for her at work, or just use the travel cage, or keep her out?
-MissK
Chainy

Post by Chainy »

Tiago. Let's just get glitter right outta here bahaha. I was thinking just a travel cage at work and a perch for the desk so she has the option. There is only 7 saunas in the store so she literally can't get into anything. She is a little timid to step up right now, but she's only been here for a few hours mill give it some time before I start. Plus I'm from Canada and its cold outside right now. Probably shock the bird or something?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Absolutely protect Tiago from flying out the door when people enter. Shock of the cold, while substantial, would pale next to being lost outside in Canadian winter. Work cage should still be big enough to turn about, spread wings, move around, play. She'll be there for hours.
-MissK
Chainy

Post by Chainy »

Clipped wings with double doors. No chance. I meant more the carrying to the truck. It's like -20 C. Good know about the cage. Ill grab a second one. Cheers.
Chainy

Post by Chainy »

So she steps up and will chill on my shoulder if I have an apple. She was fed crumble only so I think apple will be her treat. Do you think I can bring it to work tomorrow after only 2 days getting used to me?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, I would give a little more time to get used to you and settle in. Remember, it's not just the novelty of you she has to handle. Also, if apple is her treat of choice, that's fine, but she may choose a different treat. You're going to want to use the treat that gets her attention. Be sure and transport her inside a cage, not on the shoulder, regardless of how cool she is up there.
-MissK
Chainy

Post by Chainy »

I have a large cage for work and a proper carrying case. Probably won't take her for a bit. She's freaked of my hands still. Don't want to stick em in the cage. Cheers missk. You're awesome!