need help!

Moderator: Mods

tlojak41

need help!

Post by tlojak41 »

hello all. i have had an indian ringneck for about 13 years now. i noticed something today that ive never seen on him,(at least we think its a him). i was talking to him, and i noticed something around his backside. pulled him out and looked, he has feces
built up around his backside. what should i do? what does this mean?? ive never had a problem with him and im freaking out right now!! please help. i cant get him into the vet until thursday. im hoping there is something i can do to help. any advice would be appreciated. thanks
MissK

Re: need help!

Post by MissK »

Hey, congratulations on keeping your bird 13 years so far! You must be doing something right. :D

If this were my bird, I would gently clean the area and start keeping a log of the food and the poop, so when the vet day arrives there is more information to share. I might make sure to feed some nice fruits, to help ward off dehydration, unless eating excessive moisture laden foods caused the bad poop in the first place. If the bird's condition degrades, call the vet and tell them you need in sooner. After 13 years I'm sure you know this, but make sure you have a real certified avian vet. If you are using a plain dog and cat style vet, make a different appointment, with a real bird vet.
-MissK
tlojak41

Post by tlojak41 »

Thanks for the advice. He gets a dry seed diet, but likes to dip his food in water. His spirit doesn't seem affected, doesn't act any different so I don't think he's in pain or anything. I wonder if it just didn't come in contact with the feathers and start building. I'm going to run a sink with warm water and try to get him on it to soak it off. Oh, and of course our vet is a certified avian vet. We actually have two birds, him and a male umbrella cockatoo. Wouldn't trust them to anyone but an avian vet.
electronegative

Post by electronegative »

Roughly what % of his diet is dry seed?

My parents had a budgie who had droppings stuck to the feathers around his vent. I asked my vet about this and he said it was likely due to liver problems, which is common in budgies on a poor, seed-based diet. Unfortunately, the budgie died shortly after and my parents never did take it into the vet.

I'm not sure how that would work outside of budgies though. Today is Thursday, did you end up going to the vet?