my irn loves and i mean LOVES garlic..is it harmful at all

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

browny820

my irn loves and i mean LOVES garlic..is it harmful at all

Post by browny820 »

My irn loves fresh cloves of garlic. is this bad for him? i have noticed his beak turning a bit black and he seems to be losing some feathers..is this what im feeding him or do they malt? hes approx 5-7 months old
pattiB

Re: my irn loves and i mean LOVES garlic..is it harmful at a

Post by pattiB »

The breeder we got Gracie from had it on the NO NO list. Onions and Garlic (Which is in the onion family)
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It amazes me that people will give their birds all sorts of things to eat and yet in the forum there is a lot information about what foods as are good and what are bad. I would not be at all surpised to read that some one says their birds loves mushrooms. Garlic is bad for them.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

On the same note, I am surprised that some people don't notice that their birds behaviour is coming from hormones, Aj. There is heaps of information here about many things.

Browny, you may find this useful http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078

Regards,
Claire
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Btw Nila loves mushrooms, one of our friends fed him a little piece once. Luckily he survived!
Sapphire stole some garlic and ate it, she loved it too. Luckily she didn't die either!

We are more careful when cooking or having friends around our birds now, but I believe both those are on the toxic list as it is unknown how much harm they actually cause and in what quantity. Most feed recommendations err to the side of caution. I think it is best to follow the better safe than sorry attitude.