need some breeding info

Moderator: Mods

diar_sndi

need some breeding info

Post by diar_sndi »

hey everyone, well I bought a pair of IRN 3 months a go and they suppose to be a breeding pair, anyway they r around 4 yrs old I believe and I was wondering when is the breeding season for IRN in Saskatchewan canada?? just to let u kno the snow starts melting around march so its gonna be nice and lil warm around april. and second question I have my birds in kinda dark room and I turn the light off over night does that affect their breeding? should I keep the light on over night and wen they lay eggs??and last question my male does kinda weird behavior he crouch and outspread hes wings and the female start chasing him but the good thing is she doesnt hurt him so I was just wondering wat does that mean? thanx and I hope find some answers :)
SCB 22

Re: need some breeding info

Post by SCB 22 »

hi there, are you certain you have a male and female? the crouching and spreading of wings, with head tipped back it typical female behaviour? Sorry cant answer the question of when your breeding season starts as I am from south Africa!
diar_sndi

Post by diar_sndi »

yeah as far as I know the male has black ring around hes neck the female doesnt or you can say a faded ring, thats how I know the male from the female and the behavior that I was talking about is the male's. female just watch or chase him but she doesnt attack him infact they sleep right beside each other at night
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Because your winters are a bit longer, your breeding season should begin around February. What you are describing sounds like typical IRN "couple" behavior. Make sure there is plenty of natural light where the birds are because their breeding drive is dictated by the length of days. I'm sure you already know to feed them a healthy diet. Don't be discouraged by no affectionate activity between the birds. I had one pair this year that one day she was chasing him away from her, and the next he was feeding her. She's currently sitting on 4eggs. Good luck :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Feathered Friends

Post by Feathered Friends »

I am in Minnesota, US and my pair that I bought in November now have 3 eggs in their nestbox. I was told that breeding season for my area would be starting in February and going till June. Not sure if the season would be the same for you or not. Hope this helps and good luck!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've seen a couple of people in the northern parts of the US reporting eggs already. It's early but not unheard of if you keep your pairs indoors.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

diar_sndi

Post by diar_sndi »

thanx everyone for the reply. yeah the winter here is kinda long and my birds never go into thier nesting box also my female chase the male away so I thought its too early for breeding.